August 24, 2011
It’s been a while since I have written on Can I Make Big Money Online, because Jill and I are busy adding new services for our business, re-working some of our branding, and other things. Anyway, as part of our cleaning house process we are going to be putting some of our 250+ domains on the market. One that I thought might be of interest to people who read this blog is a domain I bought back in the spring of 2006 when I was planning on putting together a blog traffic membership program.
The domain name is blogtrafficjam.com and anyone interested should send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “blogtrafficjam”. Let us know what price you are interested in buying it for and let us know any questions you may have about the domain. If we don’t have any serious offers then we will be putting it up for auction in the next week or two.
July 14, 2011
My good friend, Wendy Piersall’s new book, “Mom Blogging for Dummies” has just been released. When you get a chance go over to her facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/MomBloggingForDummies) and learn more about the book. Then go buy it!
Congrats Wendy! Look forward to checking it out.
PS. I know I haven’t been writing much on this blog. At some point I plan on talking about that in more detail, but right now I am still working out the details.
October 18, 2010
Day 2 of the BlogWorld Expo 2010
Now that I’m a little recovered from the convention, I’m excited to share more about the Expo.
The best and the worst aspect had to be all the different types of sessions you could attend. There were always at least 12 different topics ranging from podcasting to food blogging. I steered away from the specialty tracks like real estate and military blogging, but I still missed out on tons of great material. That being said, here’s a little of what I did get to see:
Standout sessions for me on Friday were Mari Smith’s “The Brand of You: How to Build a Profitable Social Media Based Business,” and a panel discussion with Wendy Piersall, Cecilia Mecca, Bridgette Duplantis, and moderated by Jeremy Wright, “Harnessing the Power of Numbers: Creating a Blog Network.”
Mari Smith is a master of the personal brand. Mari’s brand is Mari, from her signature “turquoise and bling” on everything – including the podium when she spoke – to her endearing Scottish-Canadian accent. Her biggest advice is to really interact with your audience. Get out and comment on blogs, answer questions on your Facebook page, tweet about interesting subjects. She advised everyone to use their name and picture as much as possible so people feel they are interacting with a real person. The exception would be if you wish to establish a company brand to possibly sell in the future, and even then you’ll want to provide a human face behind the name.
Now, she doesn’t mean get out there and natter on about nothing. Make your engagement worthwhile for the people you are interacting with. There were two things she said that stuck with me, “Don’t shout ‘look at me,’ shout, ‘how can I help you?’” and “It’s better to have 100 highly engaged fans/followers than 10,000 who don’t give a hoot what you say.” In other words, get involved with purpose and an eye for helping others. You can have thousands of fans and followers, but if they aren’t listening to you, it doesn’t matter. And they’re not going to listen unless you provide them with a good reason.
But the most noticeable thing about Mari is that she walks the talk. She was very gracious with those who came up to speak to her. Everyone got kind words and helpful advice with a genuine smile. She sat in on sessions with her colleagues, listened, and participated. There is nothing aloof about Mari Smith; she honestly wants to help.
The three ladies from the session on creating a blog network were also extremely helpful. In fact, the networks they created – Double Duty Divas for Bridgette and Cecilia, Sparkplugging for Wendy – were all about promoting those who participated. Their attitude is that those who blog within your niche are not competition, but opportunities for support and mutual advantage. While the Divas reward with promotion and bringing advertisers and bloggers together, Wendy – who recently sold Sparkplugging – paid her bloggers for their time and posted more content aimed at the home entrepreneur.
Putting together a network of bloggers can be a rewarding experience, but all three advised that you need to screen those who join you well. Establish guidelines from the very beginning to dictate the tone and style of your network as well as to ensure the network remains honest and transparent (the Divas do a lot of product reviews which requires full disclosure.) Stick to those guidelines and don’t bend. After all, it’s your network’s – and ultimately your – reputation on the line.
Whew! That’s a lot of information and I barely scratched the surface. Stay tuned for my next installment for Day 3.
Thanks for reading!
Starting Fresh at Forty
January 14, 2009
The other day I finished reading Stompernet’s free report called “MBA In A Box”.
Here is my quick summary of what is covered in MBA In A Box:
1. Raise the price of your product by 15 percent.
2. Increase the perceived value of your product.
3. Sell more to your existing customers.
4. Businesses fail because:
A. Lack of vision.
B. Lack of strategy to carry out vision.
C. Lack of a system for marketing and sales.
D. Lack of a system to monetize clients.
E. Trying to do too many things (no systems to get things done).
5. Businesses succeed when:
A. They have a strong value proposition.
B. Continual stream of leads.
C. Consistently and cost effectively convert leads to customers.
D. Have a system to monetize customers.
E. Operate efficiently.
6. Compound all five parts of the formula together to create a huge increase in profits.
I know that Formula 5 is based on solid business success principles because my business mentors have taught me the same strategies discussed in this report (and I teach them as well).
The full report goes into more detail about implementing Formula 5 strategies, but I thought a good summary would help you know what to expect when you check it out for yourself.
So, who should read the free Formula Five MBA In A Box report?
The report is best suited for online entrepreneurs who sell products and services. It’s not really useful for people who make their living (or intend to make their living) from affiliate marketing. It’s also not something that I would generally recommend to people who are absolutely new to Internet marketing (0-3 months experience— if you fall in this category, you should check out OnlineProfits.com). However, it is free and unless you have some sort of formal business training, then you will probably learn a thing or two about maximizing your online business profits by reading it.
October 24, 2008
Here in the next week or so I’m going to launch a new site. It’s a simple little squeeze page with it’s own free mini-report course, and I want it to be noticed as fast as possible. Unfortunately, the Internet isn’t like it is on television, where you put the site online and suddenly, it’s flooded with more traffic than it can handle.
I wish it actually worked that way, because my life would have been so much simpler.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t, and you have to promote your site like everyone else. The good news is that you can create your very own promotional action pack to do that. It won’t cost you a ton of money or take much time to create.
Here’s what you need:
- Several articles related to your site: I had the luck of being able to retask a few of my older articles for this one, and now I have four ready to go. Once you have them, blast them with an article blasting service if you have the money. It’ll save you hours of posting them by hand.
- A viral report: I’ve used quite a few of these, and will be making another one to drive traffic to my new site. Write a viral report related to your site, and add the link pointing to it. Once you do, other people must be able to find it so they can use it as a bonus for their purposes, and thereby distribute it for you. I put mine into distribution using the Butterfly Reports web site.
- A video: These are the same kinds of video you find on YouTube. I make my videos with Sony Vegas, but choose whatever video maker works best for you. A simple slideshow video, or a narrated demonstration of something related to your site is what you need. Remember to insure your site URL is shown during the entire video, and pitched at the end of it.
Yes, it may take some time for you to get significant traffic to your new site. But you can get ahead of the game by assembling a promotional action pack in advance.
October 17, 2008
Among the other uses of the PDF ebook is the ability to drive traffic with it. If you know how to make a PDF ebook, then you can make its shorter cousin, the viral report.
While you can sell reports, the purpose of a viral report is a bit different. Viral reports are designed to drive traffic by trading content someone else can use for their ‘help’ in getting your links out to interested people. You do this by creating the report and letting others use it for free. When you do this, you should keep some things in mind.
- First, you have to know where your report is intended to drive traffic. You want to write about a subject related to your site to prequalify the traffic, so don’t start writing until you know.
- The average person has to look at an ad seven times before they respond to it. So when you write your viral report, focus primarily on advertising a single link. Put it in the footer, the title page, and at the end of your report at the very least. You can also put it in the body of the report, but be careful not to spam it.
- While you want to give anyone who reads your report enough good information to earn their trust, they won’t buy the cow if they can get the milk for free. So when you write your report, keep the subject more focused than what you are selling on the site where you want them to go.
- If you want to use the report to drive someone to an affiliate product page, make sure it’s about something related to the products on that page. You want interested and targeted traffic, not generic hits.
- To make the report go viral, clearly state what you’ll allow someone to do with your report on the cover. Can they give it away? Sell it? Do other things with it? Also, make sure that you explicitly forbid them to alter it, or distribute it in any form but digital. If they do change the report, or distribute it physically, it defeats the purpose of using it to drive traffic.
- If you have an affiliate program for the site where you intend to drive traffic, make your report rebrandable. Someone is much more likely to use it if they can make money from it and get free content than just to get free content alone.
- Viral reports aren’t oversized sales copy. To make them work, they have to provide real information to anyone who reads them in a well-produced way. You also want them to be used by other merchants as list builders and bonuses for buying something else, which won’t happen if all you do with is just try to sell your own stuff in a PDF that looks like a spam site.
Viral reports are handy if you make them correctly, and know what you want to do with them before you write them. With a little preparation, you could be making viral reports that work for you.
October 10, 2008
I have had a few problems this week with my site so I decided to wait until next week to get back to a regular posting schedule. I wanted to go ahead and end the week by letting you know about two very cool news items…
The first one I heard on Twitter from my friend Garry Conn and Internet marketing guru Joel Comm (almost at the same time). According to CNET Google is adding support for Adsense in video games. That is very cool news for game developers. While there are already ways of monetizing games with in-game advertising, Google Adsense entering this market is really good news for game developers.
Secondly, I heard from Michel Fortin that YouTube will soon be introducing the ability to add “Buy Now” links to videos. Video has become an excellent way to market products and services and YouTube is about to make it even better. This is great news for video marketing.
Next week you can expect my second to last post in my Getting Started series. Have a great weekend!
August 8, 2008
Well, the 2008 Olympics are about to start and I wanted to share a little about what we have been doing to get ready.
For those of you who don’t know this, we made some decent money a few years ago when my wife Jill blogged the winter Olympics. We then decided to blog every Olympics, because Jill really enjoys it and it is a good way to make some decent money.
To be honest, with the new baby’s arrival we did not do as much preparation for the Olympics as we originally planned. I was going to redesign our blog to look nicer, but after redesigning this blog and watching my Search Engine rankings immediately drop 5 spots for the “make money online” term I decided I would put the redesign of the Summer Olympics blog on hold. Also we found the current design to work so well for making money with the last Olympics that it didn’t make sense to change the design without the time to test it’s monetization.
Anyway, over the next three weeks I will be very busy with the Olympics. I do intend on giving you updates about other things we did in preparation of the Olympics, as well as things we are going to do to make money with our blog during the Olympics. So stayed tuned…
July 28, 2008
UPDATE: This post is out of date, please use this link if you want to order Blog Mastermind.
Blog Mastermind is opening it’s doors again, BUT this time it’s not closing!
Blogging guru, Yaro Starak, is opening up his Blog Mastermind training program to new members on Tuesday. Leading up to the opening Yaro released some great free videos that reveal how to make money blogging. You can see all the great videos here:
- Coversion Blogging
- Interview with a million dollar blogger
- How Yaro’s blog makes money online (2 videos)
As an incentive to buy, I am offering an exclusive bonus to those who buy it through my link. For those who sign up for the Blog Mastermind program, I will put on a free teleconference to answer your most pressing questions. Because of our blog about the Olympics in China I won’t be holding the conference until after the Olympics are over.
To claim your bonus for ordering the Blog Mastermind:
1. Click here to sign up through my affiliate link
2. Email me your receipt to george @ websitepromotionbook.com
3. I will then contact you with details about the teleconference
4. After the teleconference, you will get an mp3 recording of the call
That’s all there is to it.
July 21, 2008
If you are a beginner and you want to learn how to start a blog then I highly recommend you go check out Yaro’s blogging videos for beginners by clicking here.
July 15, 2008
Just a quick note to let you know that John Reese has opened the door to Traffic Secrets 2.0.
Traffic Secrets 2.0 covers traffic generation techniques like:
- Social Media Marketing & Strategy
- Advanced Content Syndication
- Cutting-Edge Video Marketing & SEO
- Leveraging Software & Widgets
- Setting Up Automatic ‘Content Factories’
- Building An Affiliate Army
- And more.
What I found really cool was that those who buy Traffic Secrets 2.0 (at least for now) will receive the following…
- LIFETIME UPDATES To The Course
- Private Coaching & Mastermind Community
- Web-based ‘Action Tracker’ Learning System
- And more!
Once you buy your license to Traffic Secrets 2.0 you don’t have to buy it ever again. Even by the time that “Traffic Secrets 100.0” comes out you’ll have gotten all of the other versions for free. Pretty cool!
Traffic generation techniques continue to change over time so it’s great to know that you’ll be getting all the updated information and strategies for free. I am very excited about the free updates!
I am going to go buy my copy soon after I finish writing this post. You can buy yours by clicking here.
July 12, 2008
I just finished watching the third and final Traffic Secrets 2.0 video and it was VERY interesting. Not only does John give some great advice at the beginning of the video, but at the end of this new video John Reese reveals some great news about the price of his Traffic Secrets 2.0 course.
He also reveals (for the first time) details about why this ‘course’ isn’t simply a course like most have seen before.
You’ll have to watch the video to see how John is ‘raising the bar’ when it comes to Internet Marketing educational products. I was very happy to see what he is NOT doing with this release.