Confessions of a Social Media late adopter

Written by Jill Manty  · August 22, 2010

I have a secret. For someone who writes a lot about social media, I’m not generally an early adopter. I don’t know if this is because I really don’t like cell phones, so platforms like Twitter and FourSquare weren’t a natural fit. Or because I tend to get addicted to technologies, so I try to avoid them as long as possible so they don’t suck yet more time out of my day. But the truth is George hounded me for about a year to join Facebook. (And I don’t even care to mention how long it took for me to “get” blogging.)

I didn’t want to. It was lame. I didn’t need it. Why should I? Then I joined about 18 months ago. How did I ever live without Facebook? And now I think that any business without a Facebook page is missing out on a monumental opportunity! Do you also want Google to exclude you from the search results?

I still don’t use Twitter a lot. Oh, sure I feed our Facebook page to it, but I leave most of the interacting to George. However, that will probably come to an end sometime in the next couple of months. Once I get a firm grasp on Linked In and Four Square— I need those for particular clients. But Twitter’s next.

So, why am I telling you all of this? Because I want you to know it’s not too late. If you don’t yet have a Twitter or a Facebook account, it’s okay. You haven’t missed the social media parade. In fact, it’s really just getting started.

For businesses, it’s often not that beneficial to be an early adopter. The best time for businesses to adopt a technology is around it’s peak. It’s usually easier (and cheaper) to get training at that point. Your clients and potential customers are already informed about the technology, so you don’t have to convince them that they should WANT to “like” you on Facebook. And there are plenty of people who are already knowledgeable to whom you can outsource the parts of social media that you don’t like or don’t have time to keep up with.

So, if you’ve been avoiding social media, you don’t have to continue to do so. There are some very simple and very effective ways to use Facebook, Twitter, blogging, Linked In and more that will help you make money online and won’t keep you from actually running your business. I’ll be introducing some simple tips and tricks over the coming weeks and months. So, make sure to check back often. But for right now, go sign up for Facebook and Twitter— and throw in LinkedIn while you’re at it. Leave a note down below if you’ve signed up recently, or if you don’t yet have an account and let me know what was/is holding you back.

Comments

7 Responses to “Confessions of a Social Media late adopter”

1. Jill Manty on August 24th, 2010 7:19 pm

Case in point referring getting addicted to technology. Just spent all evening playing with Twitter— hopefully I won’t get our account erased due to “trying things out”.

2. Darlene 'Dee' Bishop on August 26th, 2010 7:20 am

It’s so funny to see someone else admit to being late to adopt new things… I do the same thing often! While I’ve been on Twitter and Facebook quite awhile, and have accounts with several other social networking sites, I’ve still not gotten into Linked In or Four Square. Glad at least to know I’m not alone. ūüėČ

3. Jill Manty on August 26th, 2010 5:47 pm

I leapfrogged ahead and created a Twitter account and started building that, but now I really need to get back to learning more about LinkedIn and Four Square. Two really good resources on Linked In you might want to check into are http://imonlinkedinnowwhat.com/ and http://www.lewishowes.com/linkedin-marketing/ (sign up for his free videos— they’re great!).

Send me an invite on LinkedIn, if you’d like.

4. Marius on August 27th, 2010 4:37 am

I agree, what you can get addicted to those social media technologies very easily, but what about facebook? I know from experience what a lot of people tend to addict to facebook. Of course I totally agree what facebook is vital part of business, this is a very good point. I think it works similar as having a list.

Best Regards,
    Marius P

5. Andy Green on August 27th, 2010 10:44 am

I can officially say that Im one of the late adopter as well. A month ago Ive started to use Facebook and some of my friends were in shock to see me there. Its because I was never in to such stuff. All changed after I decided to run a blog and started to use the FB and Twitter and now I’m there almost every day for even few hours. Well I hope it is not the begging of some kind of addiction.

6. Paul on August 27th, 2010 11:00 am

Well. I haven’t started to use twitter yet, I do have an account but I have never used it.I guess I’m late too haha

7. Jill Manty on August 27th, 2010 12:16 pm

Late adopters unite!! Yes, you can certainly become “addicted” to Facebook— I wasn’t meaning to imply you couldn’t. But I had college friends I hadn’t seen in a long time who were on there, so it was more tempting.

Of course, the BUSINESS payoff has been that Facebook has brought us a couple of clients and a few people who are now working for us. Plus, I feel a lot more comfortable telling people that Facebook is a valuable medium and encouraging them to buy Facebook services or consulting from us when I actually USE the medium. We’ll see how things go with Twitter and LinkedIn.

By the way, if you want to follow me on my newly active Twitter account, it’s #mantywebdesigns