Have I Replaced My Salary Yet – Am I Making A Living Online?

Written by George Manty  · August 9, 2010

It’s been just over a year since I was laid off from my full time job at Hewlett Packard Corporation. I was a JAVA developer there making a nice living which did make it hard to leave on my own. That said, my lay off didn’t come as a huge surprise since roughly 6 months prior to being laid off I told my boss that I wasn’t happy with the work I was being assigned, and I wasn’t sure if I was going to stay. So I was very blessed to get shoved out the door last July, because without that push it was going to be hard to leave that job despite being ready to leave.

Anyway, last July I started doing this “online thing” full time.

I know you might wondering:

So how has that worked out for you?

Have you replaced your nice regular paycheck at HP yet?

Well, yes I have!

Well actually it’s “yes we have”!

My wife Jill and I are running a web design and web marketing company, and we have fully replaced my salary. Now, mind you it’s a lot of work. We both put in about 30 hours of work every week, which amounts to a total of 60 hours a week between the two of us. So it’s not a cake walk by any means.

Right now, Jill handles most of the sales and networking, as well as managing our web design contractors and most of our web design client interaction. If that wasn’t enough, she’s busy becoming our social media expert. I’m in charge of the SEO, PPC, Internet marketing plans, managing our Internet marketing contractors, handling the business operations and the client interactions for our marketing clients. We do quite a bit of overlapping work when it comes to interacting with clients, acquiring joint venture partners and building relationships. It’s been working out really well for us, and the future is looking pretty amazing.

So, yes we have been able to make money online and so can you! In the coming months I will talk a lot more about some of the factors that have helped us build a successful business.

Before I Go!

Before I leave, I just wanted to say that I really do want to help you succeed, BUT everyday I get questions from people wanting FREE advice, and neither my wife or I have the time to answer everyone’s questions personally. If I answered every question I got I would have no time to run a business and no time to spend with my family. So, please don’t be offended if you email us and don’t get an answer in response.

We DO answer many questions posted in the comments in response to a post. We’ll also sometimes answer particularly unique questions in a blog post. And, of course, the content we create for this site is free. But if you have a pressing need for our expertise and want our personalized help in building your business, you can hire us for phone or in person consulting or training. Phone consulting is currently $200/hour (as of August, 2010), but we can help you save hours of looking for an answer online and trying to figure out things on your own.

If you’re anything like my wife, you’re probably thinking “Whoa, Nelly! $200 for the ‘privilege’ of speaking to one of the Mantys for an hour?” Let me explain how the process works. When you contact us to set up a phone consultation, you’ll send us 4-5 questions that can be answered in an hour (ranking them in order of importance, in case time runs out). We’ll then research the answers to your questions— we don’t charge you for that time. So, your “one hour” phone consultation may, in reality, take as many as four or five hours of our time.

Of course, if you have a business and are considering hiring us to design a website or for marketing services, we provide a one hour free consultation. However, that isn’t designed to be a time to answer all of your questions. It’s primarily a time where we can assess how we can best help you and which of our services are likely to benefit you the most. While you may get some useful hints and information out of it, if you want to “do it yourself” and just need direction, you’re much better off paying for a phone consult.

Anyway, we look forward to helping you succeed online and if you would like to see us build a step by step program on making a living online or any other type of program let us know in the comments below.

Comments

11 Responses to “Have I Replaced My Salary Yet – Am I Making A Living Online?”

1. Wendy Piersall on August 9th, 2010 7:54 am

Congratulations George and Jill! I know it’s been a while since we’ve connected, but when I saw this post in my feed reader, I had to drop by and say how happy I am for you. I always knew you would rock people’s socks off. šŸ™‚

2. Navjot on August 14th, 2010 7:32 am

Hi George ! Best of luck to you and your wife for success in life.

3. Daniel, make money online on August 14th, 2010 9:33 pm

I work in the finance industry and am getting sick of my day job.

I have been researching ways to earn money online and the possibility of not working for somone else either than myself. I have started about 4 months ago and everything that I have tried so far has not yet worked.

but as they say “Never give up”.

If anyone has any helpful hints, that would be great!

4. paul friar on August 17th, 2010 2:50 pm

I dont consider $200 per hour to be too expensive for valuable advice from someone who is already achieving that which we want to achieve.
    I once paid $3600 for a total of 12 hours of consultation by phone (although there were a few other benefits like a free website, hosting etc. thrown in for that price)
    I hope your success continues and that you can be a guide and inspiration for others.

5. George Manty on August 17th, 2010 10:38 pm

@ Wendy – Thanks Wendy! It’s been a short – long time. I hope all is going well with you and your new business. We need to stay in touch.

@Paul – well, generally speaking I pay my mentors way more than what we charge so to me it’s a bargain price.

@Daniel – pick one system, if you make money using it. then become an expert at it and scale it out until you are making enough money to live on. It’s fairly simple if you can stick with it.

6. Ronald Redito on August 18th, 2010 1:44 am

Like you, I’ve started my own online business last year. I’m earning a few hundreds or thousand dollars if lucky in a month. Not yet that huge but I am starting my own web design and SEO and Social media company.

I agree, making money online is not a walk in the park. It entails hard work and perseverance of finding clients and delivering quality and on time output.

7. Big john on August 22nd, 2010 11:23 pm

Cogratulations, I hope 2 one day make my income online. I have been working hard on my website but cant seem to get there yet but if you want to make money online it takes time,hard work, and patience.

8. Peter Dunin on September 7th, 2010 7:28 am

Congrats on your success,I hope the hard work I’m putting in pays off!

9. Michael Nunn on September 12th, 2010 9:01 am

Hi George, It’s refreshing to hear a true success story once in awhile. It is important for people not to become jealous of the success of others but to rejoice in it and take inspiration from it.

Most everyone who will read this comment has the potential to build themselves an income working online if they so desire and have the determination to see their plan through.

I congratulate your wife and yourself on your continuing success and wish you all the best for the future.

Michael Nunn

10. Dexter on September 16th, 2010 10:29 am

Congratulations to George and Jill for your success because a lot of people fail to make a living online.

11. Jon Hamilton on January 1st, 2012 10:40 pm

Is it really possible to earn money online? I keep hearing so many people say that it’s a piece of cake. Nothing worth doing is a piece of cake.

Is the 60 hours per week replacing just your salary? Or are you actually making more? I know this post is older, but I’m curious to know how well you’re both doing now.

I’m seriously considering web design. If teaching people how to become orthodontists doesn’t work out. šŸ˜‰

Thanks for the post though. You guys rock!