Three Steps to Business Success in 2009

Written by George Manty  · December 6, 2009

In 2009, my wife Jill and I launched a business that is, so far, surpassing our expectations. Here are three of the main factors that contributed to our success in 2009…

1. Commitment

Early this year (May) I was laid off from my 9-5 job. I had two choices at that point; go look for a job or start a business to make enough money to support my family. After much prayer and discussion with my wife, we decided to start our own business. Prior to being laid off I had been creating websites and marketing them in my spare time, but I never COMMITTED to making my business a success. I always had my 9-5 job to fall back on for money, which kept me from ever totally committing to the business.

All of the people I have known who have had a successful business online have committed to it. Many of them even quit their jobs before starting their business because they understood the importance of commitment. While I don’t recommend you leave your job, I do recommend that you commit yourself to making your business successful. Without commitment it will likely fail. Set some hard deadlines and stick to them.

2. Focus

I have talked about the importance of focus before (see this post). Until I focused on making money with one business (our web marketing and design business), success was elusive.

Now that my wife and I are running a successful business I don’t want to lose focus on that business or it might stop growing. Focus is one of the biggest factors in our success this year and it will continue to be one of the biggest factors in our ongoing success.

3. Time Management
Changing the way I managed my time has made a huge difference in my productivity. Now that I only check my email after I have completed 2 hours worth of important work, my productivity has greatly increased. I learned this and other techniques from various sources, including a very good book on the topic. If you are looking for great time management tips without spending a ton of money, I highly recommend the book, “Getting Things Done”, by David Allen. You can buy a copy at most bookstores or check it out for free at your local library.

One of the other things I did to improve my time management is to create a daily and weekly todo list. I manage the todo list with a very simple free online tool called Voo2Do. At the beginning of each week I create a new todo list with the highest priority items being done earliest in the week to make sure that they get done. In my case, that means that marketing tasks for our clients are done at the beginning of the week. You can also organize your days that way, with the highest priority items being done first and your less high priority items (like checking email) coming later in the day. I also leave some space towards the end of the week for those tasks that get bumped down the priority list by things that required immediate attention, like proposals for clients. Making good use of your time makes a big difference in your business success.

Those were the three things that I did to have a successful 2009, what were the things you did to improve your business?

PS. This post was part of a my friend Daniel’s writing project (Daniel is one of those people I knew who quit his job before starting an online business). You can read all about his project by clicking here.

Comments

9 Responses to “Three Steps to Business Success in 2009”

1. Aviz on December 8th, 2009 1:20 am

All three steps are very important for ever not just the year 09. To do any thing we must be committed, focus on your work aim, and manage your time in good sense, avail all your time with good management.

2. TriNi @ make money online free on December 8th, 2009 2:29 am

Great post, I couldn’t say it better myself. Those three factors are definitely necessary when it comes to being successful with anything.. as is also the case with making money online.

If I didn’t have the determination and perseverance that this whole “make money online” thing needs, I’d probably be pulling my hair out by now.. or already bald.

I’ve decided to stick through with it no matter what, and that’s what I’ve been doing to make my site be as successful as it’s been so far.

Congrats on the success of your business.. keep the attitude you showed in this post and you’ll be that much more successful! ūüôā

3. Luca Di Nicola on December 8th, 2009 5:29 am

Great post. We have a lot in common. I also lost my job a few years ago and decided that I did not want to get back into the corporate rat race again. After much discussion with my wife and family we decided that I would start my own business.
    It was one of the best decisions we ever made. Having said that it has’nt been an easy ride – it’s been hard work, but well worth it.

In your 3 steps to success I feel the one I still need to work on is Time Management” I get distracted way to easilly with – I’ll take a look at the book you recommend.

It’s ironic that I found this post – I recently did a very similar post http://www.reachsuccessonline.com/are-you-cut-out-to-be-a-successful-online-entrepreneur/
    Maybe there is something about God

4. Young on December 8th, 2009 9:06 am

Time management is a good tip for me to learn in all my life, it is an art, you can always do better and better.

5. Joe Crawler on December 8th, 2009 12:05 pm

There’s one more thing.. no.4 is get some rest.

6. MLM Review on December 9th, 2009 3:51 pm

Wow good job with making your own business. I hope you continue doing well. =] thanks for some inspiration.

7. Jose Anajero on December 23rd, 2009 7:36 pm

“Now, there was a fourth factor that both Jill and I consider to be a bigger factor than any other factor… our belief in God. While everyone may not embrace this view, I do believe that prayer played an important role in our success.”

Am delighted to see successful internet marketers like you who attribute their success to God.

Thanks for your inspiring post George.

Jose

8. kathleen on January 3rd, 2010 2:26 am

I agree prayer plays a big role in success. The secret is to stay positive no matter what speed bumps come your way. Be careful not to get burnt out remember to take breaks and get plenty of rest. It’s tough in the beginning later on down the road it gets easier.

9. Net Success on February 6th, 2010 6:58 pm

Time management is my weakness. Thanks for the tips, hope to see the steps to success of 2010 soon!