Slow and Steady Builds the Business

Written by Ryan Ambrose  · August 31, 2009

Here’s a deep, dark secret of online business: There’s no silver bullet to getting one up and going.

Yes, some things work much better than others. But there’s no magic out-of-the-box anything that you can buy and suddenly, you have a successful and lucrative business. Yes, I know a lot of products bill themselves that way. It’s an annoying bit of background noise you’ll have to tolerate if you’re trying to learn how to make money online.

Throwing money at a business without a plan won’t help you either. You can spend a lot of money and not get anything for it. It works the same way for time and effort if you’re not doing anything but expending time and effort.

But there is something simple you can do. In fact, anyone can do it. It works like this:

• First, you find a business model that works for you.

• Then, you work it steadily until you get where you want to go.

Slow and steady builds the business. A successful technique applied regularly over a period of time will make your income grow. This could be list building, making sales, your approach to earning affiliate commissions, or whatever. Not a single burst of time, effort, and money, but a steady, continuous effort. Spend enough time each day for you to actually accomplish something with your chosen technique, and keep going.

You don’t have to be a business prodigy. You just have to be like the tortoise in his race with the rabbit. Find something that works, and then just keep going.

Seriously, how do you make a beautiful, sellable ebook? Find your answers today with The Ebook Walkthrough!

My name is Ryan Ambrose, and I’m one of the co-authors of Can I Make Big Money Online.

Comments

9 Responses to “Slow and Steady Builds the Business”

1. Alex on September 8th, 2009 7:30 am

Hi,

Just recently stumbled across this website. Interesting title/domain name. I get asked this question all the time. I work for a UK based Inernet marketing company which sells A LOT of information products (The company is in the top 0.1% of clickbank merchants) and back in the days when we had less staff, I often had to jump onto customer support.

Everyone always wanted to make big money, very quickly, for no work, for no investment of time or cash. They bitched moaned and complained and would never just work diligently on a business model for any length of time. It was insane and drove me mad.

I agree with what you are saying in this post and I think it is important to add that, some times it is better to try something and fail, rather than try to get all the answers from some one first.

2. Wilson Pon on September 8th, 2009 11:41 pm

Ryan, you’re 100% right on the above facts. However, most of the my friends still thought that there’s an easy way to generate a lot of money in overnight! I always told them that online business is just like your real world business, which it needs patience and determination, if you want it to become your substantial income!

3. b4money on September 10th, 2009 6:14 am

It’s so long time, I’m spending 6 months to reach my first $100

4. Harry on September 10th, 2009 6:15 am

Well, I think you’re right. It’s need tons of patience to be success in online business

5. RJ on September 15th, 2009 2:02 pm

I think that this point is one of the biggest disconnects between what people think and the reality of making money / a living on the internet. Being impatient is not a quality that lends itself well to the online business model… Sure, there are people who can make a lot of money quickly, but the majority of these people have spent years to get to the point where they’re able to snap their fingers and fill their bank accounts, too.

There are a lot of people who preach against the, ‘do what you enjoy’ approach to online business, but the reality is that, for most of us, we’re going to be working on the same sites for a while, and if we don’t like them, it’s going to be all the more difficult to continue on with them until we see profit.

In essence, I agree with you, 100%.

6. Mailing List Building Blog on September 17th, 2009 12:55 am

You are perfectly right Ryan. I agree with you. Being slow and steady is a good to have in any kind of business. That is extremely reality.

7. Chris Peterson on September 21st, 2009 5:07 am

HI Ryan,
    I would say that it takes a lot of courage & genuine uge to help others to be able to tell the truth so bluntly & so simply. You are right & just hit the nail so accurately that it might hurt new inexperienced newbies. But, it needs to be said & followed as well. What do you think, Ryan?

8. Ryan on September 21st, 2009 5:37 pm

My intention here is not to hurt the newbies, Chris, but to keep them from getting burned.

Yes, knowing this truth about online business might discourage a few. It may also arm a few others against disappointment and reduce their chances of failure. Also, still more might not get burned by the legions of “get rich quick” scams polluting the Internet while searching for a real way to make money online if they know this in advance.

That was the purpose in my writing this post.

9. John Glass on November 9th, 2009 5:19 pm

Ryan,

I would like to metion that ehow can be a very simple way to make money online for newbies who want to get started. My goal is to write 3 articles for ehow a week and for each of these articles to earn a re-occuring $1 a month. Articles take anywhere from 10-45 minutes to write and joining ehow is free. They have no affiliate program and they are not paying me to sing their praises. Its just a solid way for newbies to make a few dollars with no start up cost. Of course reading up on basic SEO for the articles will help a lot. Anyways I hope that helps out a few people.