Can You Make Money Online from Twitter?

Written by Trent Brownrigg  · June 4, 2009

If you aren’t on Twitter yet then you are one of the few people who aren’t, and if you have never heard of Twitter then you must have been living in a jungle cave for the past year or two. Every internet marketer I know is on Twitter and it seems like that’s all any of them can talk about these days. But does anyone actually make money from Twitter? Have you?

I have been on Twitter for a while now and I have yet to see how you can really make money from it even though everyone keeps talking about how great it is for business. Don’t go thinking I am some newbie that doesn’t know anything either because I definitely am not. I have been an internet marketer successfully making money online for over 6 years.

Sure, I’ve heard a few stories here and there of people who have used certain methods to make money on Twitter, but they are few and far between. And even those “success stories” are usually only small sums of money. Plus, when you consider the excessive amounts of time most people spend on Twitter to make that little bit of money, you could utilize several other marketing techniques to achieve better results in the same amount of time.

Then there’s the argument you will hear from the Twitter faithful about how great it is for traffic. Is it really? Not if you really think about it…

Say you have 1000 followers and you “tweet” your newest blog post in hopes that your followers will go check it out. Chances are most of them won’t be on Twitter at the time you tweet it so hardly any of them will see your tweet anyway. However, let’s be really conservative and say half of them are on, so 500 might see it.

Now, most of the remaining 500 are probably following hundreds, if not thousands, of other people, so your tweet will most likely be pushed down almost instantly and very few of them will see it. But let’s be really conservative again and say half of them do see your tweet. We are down to 250 now.

This could go on and on but let’s estimate highly again and say that 10% of the remaining 250 actually do click the link to go to your blog post. You just go a whopping 25 visitors! And probably none of them will actually be targeted visitors that will do anything to actually make you money once they are at your blog.

However, I am feeling generous so let’s say you have Adsense displayed on your blog and normally get a 5% click through rate. Well, 5% of 25 is 1.25 – so you would get just one click. If you’re lucky, you might make 10 cents or so. In reality you probably wouldn’t make anything though because “social traffic” rarely clicks on ads, and traffic from Twitter is considered social traffic.

So, can you make money from Twitter? I doubt it! And even if you do there’s a strong chance you could have made a lot more by using other internet marketing techniques instead.

If you don’t want to take my word for it then give it a try and see how it works for you. If you do figure out how to make money on Twitter then I would love to hear how. Just don’t waste too much of your time trying!

Let me end by stating that I am not saying you shouldn’t use Twitter. I get on there almost every day so that would be very hypocritical of me. It does have some advantages and there are several tools you can use to automate it so you don’t waste all your time there.

The point I am trying to get across is that you shouldn’t be spending too much time on Twitter because it’s really not very productive for your business. There are many other ways to make money that are much better than Twitter and several marketing methods that will bring you a lot more traffic.

By the way, since we’re on the subject of Twitter… You can follow me @trentab to get real tips on how to make money online.

Dedicated to your success,

Trent Brownrigg

Owner of a popular work at home based business blog and a long time internet marketing veteran.

Comments

14 Responses to “Can You Make Money Online from Twitter?”

1. Make Money Easy Online on June 5th, 2009 7:53 am

Hi

Everybody is definately twittering and there have been so much hype that it can really make some money out of it which I am trying as well.

I am twittering because I am seeing some traffic from it.

2. vinnu on June 6th, 2009 3:43 am

Could Someone tell me how to make money with twitter account

3. Norm on June 6th, 2009 9:16 am

Hi,

Honestly I don’t think twitter can make you money but it can help you gain some traffic.

However I see this new channels as a distraction. Too many channels too many things to monitor, update.

Do one thing a be great at it ūüėČ

Norm

4. simon on June 7th, 2009 7:36 am

You can also use one of the fully automated Twitter posters to gain higher numbers of followers all above board and increase the number of users you get your messages out to. Here is a software that looks extremely promising. http://www.twitterxtreme.com

5. Nick Simpson on June 7th, 2009 11:11 am

So, your suggesting that internet marketers and businesses don’t spend time on the fastest growing website on the planet?

There are plenty of folks out there who are making good money on twitter, I would not judge from your own experience. I think that it is a wonderful way to keep customers up to date with your business and let them know about new specials you may be running. I don’t think it is as powerful as, say, facebook, but man, if you are not going to be on twitter, thats like opening a brick and mortar business and saying “I am not going to put a sign out front”

Just my thoughts on the topic, don’t mean to offend.

Later on,

Nick

6. Bill Romer on June 9th, 2009 12:45 pm

With tools like TweetLater.com, you can schedule multiple tweets throughout the day, to increase your traffic.

I see Twitter more as a relationship builder, with like-minded individuals in my market. I do get traffic from my bio URL, and some (not a lot) from a few salesy tweets I make between conversations.

It is a great tool to help you build authority in your market, but primarily by entering the conversations, and being helpful. From there, the traffic and sales will follow, just maybe not directly.

Bill

7. George Manty on June 9th, 2009 6:57 pm

Simon,

I am very hesitant about using any automated tool for social media sites like Twitter.

8. Dennis Cover on June 10th, 2009 5:12 am

Trent, I think Twitter is overestimated.
    I’ve been noticing more and more articlesblog posts from famous marketers and enterpreneurs that they abandon Twitter as a marketing tool due to its low effect.
    Does anybody among CIMBMO readers have own success stories or use-cases for Twitter marketing with figures or samples?

9. Tatyana on June 19th, 2009 12:01 am

Great approach! They talk a lot about Twitter in forums and articles I thought to join it for generating more traffic to my site. After your post I changed my mind. I would rather concentrate myself on other ways of linkbuilding.

10. Meagan Smith on July 2nd, 2009 1:37 am

I agree that most followers won’t be able to notice some of your latest twits. But if your followers are your target audience then for sure they will spare time to visit some of your latest write-ups.

11. How to make money from home on July 2nd, 2009 11:29 am

Many of the Twitter followers I have(only 10) follow me in the hope that I follow them. Anyways, now I’ll focus on other things than twitter for my blog promotion after reading this. THANKS! You saved my precious time.

12. william on July 2nd, 2009 11:24 pm

Hmm, Trent. I haven’t think about that the Twitter will make me any fortune. However, I decided to give it a try, since I have nothing to lose here!

13. peluang bisnis online on July 6th, 2009 1:30 am

I think twitter is great tool for promoting about discount or special offer, so the follower who subscribe can take that offer fast.

14. ZineGuru Marketing on July 13th, 2009 3:13 am

Nice read Trent. Thanks for your insight about Twitter. I’ve heard about Twitter many times but I haven’t given it a try yet. I’ve used other social bookmarking sites but I notice social media marketing isn’t that profitable as far as conversions are concerned. It helps drive some traffic for sure but what’s the use of traffic if it doesn’t convert. The traffic is definitely not targeted this is why the conversion is poor or none at all.

One good thing is you can get some backlinks, can still help for link popularity. I notice when people are specifically looking for something via keywords like from search engines and it happens they land on your social media links, citing an example from Digg, then this is different as the visitors are more targeted.

But giving Twitter a try isn’t a bad idea, like william said, there is nothing to lose.