Duplicate The Success Of Others

Written by George Manty  · March 2, 2009

A few weeks ago in my free website marketing newsletter I revealed how to find successful online businesses to emulate. In this post we are going to discuss how to duplicate their success.

The first step is to find out what keywords they are using to advertise their products and services. You already know some of them because of the previous exercise. There are tools that will tell you all the keywords they are using to advertise with. One example of this is KeyCompete.com

Next, you need to figure out what they are doing to sell their products.

Do they have a newsletter?

If yes, how do they entice you to sign up for it?

Sign up for their list and make note of often they email you, what they email, what products and services they promote.

What kind of copy do they use?

Does their website look professional or homey?

What colors do they use on their website?

How is the website layed out?

How many pages do they have?

Do they use pictures? How?

Do they use video? How?

Determine everything they are doing and compare this with all the other sites on your list. Once you are done you will find some common themes. The things each of the sites have in common are things that you should absolutely be doing!

Several years ago I compared the top ten Technorati blogs in a similar fashion. Some of the things I found were:

1. They all made use of images in their posts.
2. A majority of them had their navigation on the right side.
3. A majority of them used either the color green or blue as their main color.

etc.

I didn’t do an in depth study, but if you wanted to emulate the top 10 blogs you could do an in depth of study of them and duplicate what they are doing. You could find out how many posts per day they write, what they write about, how they market their blogs, etc. Then you would know how to duplicate their success.

Emulating the best businesses in your niche will shortcut your path to success.

Note: If you want to read my previous newsletters on this topic just sign up for my newsletter by clicking here. Then enter your name and email and you will get the entire series in order over the course of a few weeks. Plus you will get other free advice that I don’t provide on this blog.

Comments

9 Responses to “Duplicate The Success Of Others”

1. wilhb81 on March 2nd, 2009 10:43 pm

George, over 90% of the websites that I’ve signed up have newsletter. Beside that, 60% of the sites will include the video clips/pictures on it! Most of the sites are normally have 2-3 pages, but some of them have 5 pages or more…

2. Wholesale Apparel, Tops, Women's Clothing on March 3rd, 2009 7:29 pm

this is a very informative way of emulating the success of others. problem is if one does not know where to start and how to do it, it could be a problem. there are still some people who wants to achieve success in blogging but does not know how to create a simple blog.

3. George Manty on March 3rd, 2009 7:40 pm

That is true. I am making the assumption that you are past that stage in this article. However if you aren’t past that stage you need to learn the basics of online marketing before doing this.

4. Jonathan on March 5th, 2009 12:12 pm

it is interesting what you say about having the navigation on the right. The human eye in western countries reads from left to right so logic would suggest that having the navigation bar on the left would work better, but obviously not. I agree about the colour scheme though blue or green seems to be very effect. Also green is the more pleasing colour on the eye

5. Investors times on March 6th, 2009 8:38 am

Green is the colour of nature and blue is a relaxing colour. It amkes some sense that people will be attrated to it.

6. Online Money Making on March 6th, 2009 8:12 pm

Great article. I have been trying to emulate other sites on my new website.

7. Sam17 on March 22nd, 2009 3:05 am

Great Suggestion. That is how I got started in internet marketing. long ago I surfed the internet and I used to see all these sales pages. It had me wondering if the owner was really making money.

As I saw more and more I realized that their was something to this website sales page thing. I searched for more information on the topic and viola! Now I’m an internet marketer! Couldn’t be more proud ūüôā

8. angilajonesny10 on May 18th, 2009 2:12 pm

It was a very nice read. Yes, “Duplicate The Success Of Others” – simply don’t re-invent the wheel. I’ve learned it the very hard way in the past. Those 10 tips to check out on the sites you want to research are really awesome.

9. Trump Network Marketing on May 19th, 2009 9:34 pm

You’re exactly right.. There is no need to re-invent the wheel when it comes to success. Now, it doesn’t mean blindly copying someone else’s ideas, definitely put your own spin and style into it… But there are so many people blazing trails to success, that you can definitely “duplicate the success of others”. Thanks for the post!