What Do You Think Of Pop-Over Opt-In Boxes?

Written by George Manty  · November 11, 2008

After significantly increasing my newsletter subscription rate by adding a pop-over opt-in box on this blog, I was curious what you thought of it. So, I have created a new poll to find out what you would do if your favorite blog added a pop-over opt-in box to their site. Take the poll below and let me know what you think of pop-over opt-in boxes.

PS. My friend Daniel at Daily Blog Tips, created a similar poll with a different question. Go check out his poll by clicking here. I am interested in the results of both of our polls.

Comments

13 Responses to “What Do You Think Of Pop-Over Opt-In Boxes?”

1. George Manty on November 11th, 2008 8:35 am

Update: Looks like Daniel’s poll just closed. The results are interesting. Will talk about them later…

2. Andrew on November 11th, 2008 11:04 am

Darn you, I realised after I answered the poll (leave and never come back) that I had already seen the popup and closed it without even noticing it was there. I imagine that isn’t a true answer then.

Perhaps you should have included a, “What pop up? Oh, well too late now”, option

3. George Manty on November 11th, 2008 12:29 pm

Andrew,

Interesting… I had not thought of that as a possibility…

4. Abdulrehman on November 11th, 2008 6:40 pm

Pop overs are extremely annoying, i would never tolerate them!

5. Lazy Slacker on November 11th, 2008 10:55 pm

Depends if it pops up every time I visit.

I use a pop up box on my blog – but you only get it the first time that you visit. And even then it doesn’t pop up right away – takes about a minute.

Not an issue for me.

Plus, I read most of my blogs via rss reader. The pop up box is not even an issue.

6. David on November 12th, 2008 12:38 am

I don’t recall seeing your pop-up. I know you can have it pop-up the first few times they visit. Maybe 2 times would be best??? It can definitely be irritating though – don’t really like them, but it does FORCE someone to take an action of some sort or another.

7. Ian Fernando on November 13th, 2008 10:05 am

can be annoying at times but as long there is a cookie to do it on first timers and never again (unless I clean my pc) then I am fine.

8. Wilson Pon on November 15th, 2008 3:19 am

If it’s only a single pop-up, then I still can accept it…

I hated those sites that full with multiples pop-ups, as it’s really irritating indeed!

9. Mitch on November 15th, 2008 7:59 pm

I absolutely hate popups and popunders, and I keep trying different products to try to stop them from occurring. Since that doesn’t occur, I just stop visiting those blogs as often. At least in my Feedreader program, I can actually see the entire post without having to deal with them, but it keeps me from commenting as often.

10. Trent Brownrigg on December 5th, 2008 9:37 am

They annoy me. However, if it was a blog/site I liked it wouldn’t deter me from coming back. I would just close it and keep reading.

The ones that really get to me are the ones that pop up ever time you go to a new page or come back to the home page. It should only come up once per session.

11. George Manty on December 5th, 2008 10:45 am

Trent,

Thanks for speaking up. It is making such a huge difference in my daily subscriber rate that I am finding it hard to justify moving away from. I may test other options though…

12. Jermaine Fitzgerald on December 14th, 2008 11:05 am

I have pop over optin on all my sites and it get me more subscription witch leads to more traffic and less. It works for me.

13. Alistar Bacon on April 5th, 2012 9:02 am

I’d visit the blog less often if box always pops up everytime I load a page. But if it only pops up about once a day, it won’t affect how much I frequent the blog.