How To Build An Email List Fast

Written by George Manty  · November 5, 2008

I have known for quite some time that using a pop-over opt-in box will increase your newsletter subscription rate over the standard opt-in form placement in the navigation bar on your site. I have never implemented pop-overs, because I was concerned that it would tick off visitors to my site. After reading about Darrin Rowse and Michel Fortin’s results with using a pop-over opt-in I decided to go ahead and try it out myself. So here’s what happened…

The Results of my pop-over opt-in test…

The first day I added a pop-over opt-in box on this blog, my newsletter subscriptions per day doubled. The second day my newsletter signup numbers tripled. And on the third day I had six times as many new subscribers as usual. This increase in number of subscribers per day has continued with anywhere from 2-10x the number of subscriptions every day. Needless to say I am very happy with the results and will continue using the pop-over!

I use AWeber to manage my email subscriptions, so it made sense to use AWeber’s lightbox hover option to create the pop-over opt-in box. The lightbox hover pop-over opt-in greys out the background of my blog and puts the opt-in box on top of my blog’s content. It looks something like this:

One quick note about the pop-over box. I set it so that it is only displayed the first time you visit my blog. On subsequent visits it won’t show up. I thought that setting it to only show up once per visitor would keep it from being to intrusive.

If you don’t use AWeber, there are other ways to do this. One other way to do this is by using the wordpress plug-in that Michel Fortin mentioned in his post, called “Action Pop-up“. It has a few more options than AWeber’s built-in lightbox hover option and it can be used with other newsletter programs.

The bottom line is that if you want to increase your email subscriptions you should immediately start using a pop-over opt-in on your site or blog. It will help you make big money online.

Comments

14 Responses to “How To Build An Email List Fast”

1. SEO Diva on November 5th, 2008 10:35 am

George, it pops up every day for me, maybe because my cache gets dumped?

2. George Manty on November 5th, 2008 10:50 am

I believe it is because you clear cache daily. I will have to look at that, since I really don’t want my regular visitors to see it every day.

3. James Spinosa on November 5th, 2008 7:46 pm

Just so you know George, it does come up more than once for me (possibly due to one of my many firefox extensions?), but I am curious to check the opt-in rate for this compared to simply using opt-in forms on the sidebar as I do now. You might want to add an image to yours to attract more eyes to the form itself to see even better conversions. Then again, I am 19, what do I know? šŸ˜‰

4. Lee | Free Limited Cash Videos on November 6th, 2008 10:03 am

I thought GetResponse.com is also quite a neat tool. It has one additional function which I didn’t find in Aweber. That is a choice for you to set whether you want your list to double confirmed the link (opt-in).

Some prefer automatic listing of their list (believing that there’s always chances to further build relationships while some prefer double opt-in to get quality list.

So there’s the debate & personal preference there. But both autoresponders are definitely very professional and specialized what they do best šŸ˜‰

Cheers

5. George Manty on November 6th, 2008 12:02 pm

AWeber has the option to do double opt-in as well. In fact, I think you don’t have choice. You have to do double opt-ins on AWeber. I like AWeber better than GetResponse, but GetResponse is a popular alternative to AWeber along with Constant Contact.

6. Lazy Slacker on November 7th, 2008 6:23 am

popups works quite well.

I use lightbox hover (from what I heard it works the best) with a picture. It is doing wonders to my subscription rates.

I’m seeing similar conversion number to yours.

definitely worth it.

7. George Manty on November 7th, 2008 7:53 am

I intend on testing graphics in the form at a later point in time (possibly next week). I wanted to a set a baseline with a simple text based form to see how it performed. I expect the graphics to slightly increase the rate, but it could be distracting and have the opposite result. The only way to know is by testing it.

8. Ally Chan on November 8th, 2008 5:48 am

thanks George, I’m trying out in my blog!..

9. Jay Thompson on November 11th, 2008 8:47 am

Personally, I find them annoying. Pop ups, unders, overs, whatever. I can understand how they increase subscriptions, but I just can’t bring myself to add them to my site since I find them annoying when I visit other sites.

But maybe that’s just me.

10. George Manty on November 11th, 2008 9:00 am

Jay,

Thanks for your comment. If you haven’t already done so, go take my poll to get your opinion including in it:

11. Wilson Pon on November 25th, 2008 2:19 am

WoW, I haven’t heard of this method before and it’s totally awesome! I’ll try this out ASAP

Thanks for the great tips, George.

12. makemoneyonline on April 11th, 2009 2:25 am

Thanks for your post. This is very great tips to build an email list fast.

13. Alex Newman ( Money While You Sleep .biz) on September 26th, 2009 12:48 am

This is encouraging – I was thinking exactly the same thing, that I didn’t want to tick off my visitors; but it seems to have good results and the option of only having it appear once is good.
    I think some people close the box and then later, when they have realized the value of your content, want to sign up – so it’s important to have an opt in box in many places so that it can be found easily later.

14. Justin Razmus on November 30th, 2009 7:37 pm

I have always stayed away from the popup windows, for the same reason you mentioned. I worry that it will bother people. In fact, I have never signed up through on before, because they bother me.

I do realize that it is all about the numbers, and obviously the box didn’t bother me enough to actually leave the site without reading the article.