Changing Your Tactical Business Approach

Written by Monika Mundell  · September 22, 2008

business tactics If you are a business owner, then you probably know what I’m talking about when I say you need to change directions at some stages. While some of us consistently stay on the one path, without ever wavering their foot prints, others consistently look for better ways to optimize our business.

Is one approach better than the next? Not likely, it really depends on your business. While it is perfectly fine for part time business owners to continue on their path, full time entrepreneurs frequently change tactics to adapt to the market.

As an example, take the recent hit BANS sites all over took from Google. It happens that Google de-indexed many of them, even pre-owned domains and now webmasters all over wonder what the heck is going on.

They spend hours discussing the why’s, the perhaps’s and the might’s all the while forgetting to concentrate on what really matters for their bottom line.

The money!

This is a typical example of a change of tactics. Since we don’t know the why right now, we ought to concentrate on the future instead, meaning, we have to move on and work on other aspects of the business.

Most marketers choose to keep their eggs spread out – which of course is a wise choice. Therefore, you need to concentrate on something that does work right now.

It doesn’t really matter what business model we choose. In the end there will always be situations were everything takes a sharp turn for the worse. The successful entrepreneur chooses to keep building, while the failure discusses the why’s for hours on end.

Nature of business has it that unless we work it, it won’t work. Hurdles are there to be overcome and if that means we have to start from scratch, so be it.

I’m sure you agree if you have been in business for some time.

You would have changed tactics most likely already – adjusting here a bit, tweaking there some more. Perhaps the following analogy helps:

Running a business is like sailing. You learn to host the sails when the wind blows strong. Alternatively, you use the motor when there is no wind. Once you sail under full wind, you go with the flow.

What is it you do when you run your business and find yourself up against a wall? Do you re-adjust, give up, change tactics or simply wait?

Let us know in the comment section please.

About The Author
My name is Monika Mundell, I’m one of the co-authors of Can I Make Big Money Online and I’m the author of Freelance Writing. Learn more from me there.

Comments

9 Responses to “Changing Your Tactical Business Approach”

1. Randy Evans on September 22nd, 2008 6:39 pm

You pose a difficult question to answer. It depends on the severity of the wall I hit…. Last time I hit a wall I laid of 10 people and got into a new business venture… We’ll see!

2. Monika Mundell on September 23rd, 2008 4:17 am

@ Randy: Thank you for your feedback. It seems you must have hit a really huge wall back then by having to lay off ten people. It takes guts to do that. What I’d like to know is this though: was it worth it for you in the end in terms of energy spent on changing your tactics and all?

3. CoolProducts on September 24th, 2008 9:55 am

I love the business is like sailing analogy. I can’t even imagine how many businesses die because they fail to adapt to change. It amazes me that this happens because change is inevitable, we’ve experienced constant change throughout our entire lives. So why is it that many turn a blind eye to this, causing their business to fail? I am young, 21 years young, and maybe it is just easier for me to adapt to change than it would be for my father, age 63, who is deeply set in his ways.

I’ve yet to venture out on my own and start my own business, but I believe that one should create a mix of re-adjusting and changing tactics. Keep your business flexible! Look at the example of Ford creating these flexible assembly plants where they can quickly change out the tools they need to create different vehicles, making their maneuverability to respond to the market so much greater than that of the competition, etc. Giving up, not an option; waiting it out, you’re going to lose out to another whose more innovative.

To survive change, one must adapt. This is true in business and in life.

Thanks for the post!

4. George Manty on September 24th, 2008 11:06 am

Monika,

I personally am at a crossroad and have been struggling with what to do. For the last year I have considered taking my business in three different directions. I have a direction now, but there are some things that have NOT been settled which I will talk about once I have made decision about those things.

Great post.

– George

5. George Manty on September 24th, 2008 11:21 am

And in answer to your questions:

When I hit a wall I evaluate the situation and determine what is keeping me from getting past the wall. Then I adjust and move on to the next challenge.

6. Monika Mundell on September 24th, 2008 6:16 pm

@ CoolProducts: You are a smart young man indeed. I agree that people like your father have more problems to change tactics and adapt to a new situation. I see this with my father too who is 64. Perhaps it is a sign of the times, or simply the difference between those who are open to change and those who are not.

In the end, what you said about adapting in any situation is 100% correct. Keep up your great attitude.

@ George: Thanks George. I understand you. It isn’t easy to make a decision when there might not be an immediate issue but merely a hunch we have, or a gut feeling.

I also like the way you evaluate your situation. I think that is a great answer because it is the only thing that will get us past the road block in the first place. What is good though is that you take your time in making a decision, because no doubt you will live with it for years to come.

Thanks to the both of you for your awesome answers. ūüôā

7. Luis Gross on September 25th, 2008 12:06 am

Great post!

I agree.

The same business approach, after a while, can easily fail on you. What worked last month could easily be what doesn’t work the next.

I think being able to adjust to your industry and make wise changes according to your market is what makes you a great businessman/woman.

Those who choke, freeze up, and have no backup plan, can get eaten up by dry markets.

Thumb of rule, be diversified.

8. alphonses on September 25th, 2008 10:57 am

Great advise
    At business school they told me that every week I had to sit down in a quiet place and analyze the things I had done and not done. Honestly in real practice this is very difficult to do due to the excess of work but it really pays off to take the time and do it.
    I think it’s wise for every one to adapt to the constant changes.

9. makemoneyonline on April 13th, 2009 2:25 am

Oh yeah! I look forward to reading more and more great information at this great site of yours! Some good tips for starting a blog. Thanks!