Video Learning Online Is The Clear Cut Winner

Written by George Manty  · July 23, 2008

In my last poll, I asked the question:

What is your favorite way to learn new things?

Here are the full results of the poll:

Video (36%)
Doing it myself (30%)
Online Articles (15%)
Ebook (11%)
Audio (3%)
Other (4%)

Video Wins BIGTIME!

I was surprised by the results. I expected the results to be a bit more even, because I personally prefer to learn via audio. I love to grab mp3s, put them on my ipod, and learn that way. It’s a real convenient way for me to learn, without being tied down to a computer or TV. However, most of you preferred video learning to any other type of online learning.

I am definitely going to start using video more in my business. I joined Web Video University to learn more about producing quality videos. It’s a four week course and so far it looks pretty cool. I will do a full review when I get through all the lessons. You can click here to check out Web Video University for yourself.

Besides video being such a big winner, I was also surprised that “doing it yourself” got so many votes. I learn by doing also, but I was surprised by how many people chose that over the other methods.

Anyway, the bottom line is that if you are doing any online training (especially in the Internet marketing niche) you should definitely provide online video training to your customers.

Comments

8 Responses to “Video Learning Online Is The Clear Cut Winner”

1. Jordan on July 24th, 2008 12:06 am

Its really no surprise. Video is taking over the web. People are now getting used to seeing video online so they are more used to learn by it as well.

2. George Manty on July 24th, 2008 7:35 am

Jordan,

You are absolutely right. I still found it a bit surprising, because I have met other people like me who prefer to learn with audio, because it is more convenient than being tied to your computer.

Apparently, there a lot of people who want to make money online who prefer video learning. Maybe it’s because the demographics for this niche is such a young age.

3. davidC on July 24th, 2008 10:09 am

I have to say that I first try on my own, and if needed I googleit… Video learning is a GREAT way of learning, I love it!

4. Bret on July 25th, 2008 4:05 am

I’m a big fan of learning with online video. I believe it’s quicker and more effective than books or an instructor led classroom. Some might disagree on my preference for online video over instructor led classroom, but think of it. Yes you can’t ask direct questions of video instruction but you can replay over and over. Also, you don’t have to sit through the questions of others or listen to the “know-it-all” in the room that is taking the class just so they can get away from work and “out smart” the teacher. Online video instruction is great.

5. BMC Software on July 28th, 2008 11:29 pm

Can I make money selling ads in my online videos? The quick answer is yes! But it’s not going to be that easy. This article will help you understand the online video advertising opportunities available to you. Producing web videos and selling ads in them is a huge opportunity. With millions of eyeballs out there looking at millions of web videos every day on sites like Youtube, there is a definite opportunity to produce web videos and sell advertisements in them for profit.

6. Flights to Australia on October 24th, 2008 3:42 pm

It seems logical. I for one learn more from watching someone or something rather than spending ages reading.

If they made video to show you how to assemble flat packs then I am sure that even a woman could do it!! lol

7. Shoestring Startups on November 22nd, 2008 9:18 am

It’s amazing how quickly video has taken off in the past year or so. I think if you are in the business of providing any sort of instruction materials or courses, it’s imperative that you start offering your content in online videos. You just have to look at the major players to see where things are going (and fast).

One problem that I think remains is the fact that many users still have low bandwidth, or their bandwidth is capped. Some of the major ISP’s have now started implementing download limits. How this will impact the online video industry remains to be seen I suppose. Personally, I have to watch my bandwidth and I always think twice about using resource hogging video.

Steven

8. George from Loughton, Essex on December 6th, 2008 11:00 am

In order not to be an abstract commenter, I just want to add a couple of lines here about my own video learning experience. I’ve learned a lot about working with the Photoshop simply by watching tutorial videos on the web. This was great and it was quicker and easier than reading the books. I also like to watch videos about laptop disassembling and pc components – these are very helpful, would have spent more times just looking at pictures. Unfortunately, not many technical questions still can be answered by watching a video but I hope it will change in the near future.