Dear Google, Bite Me!

Written by George Manty  · November 2, 2007

I found this funny conversation about the whole Google paid link war (via Andy Beard), and thought I would share it with you:

Composing the Perfect Letter of Surrender

What was even more funny to me is that the conversation sounded similar to the conversation I had with my wife about this topic last week. Which makes me wonder, “Are women less scared of Google than men?”

Anyway, I have to agree with both my wife and Jennifer who said:

Dear Google, bite me!

That about sums it up for me.

Now, it’s time for me to get back to being a sheep in the Googlesphere...

Comments

7 Responses to “Dear Google, Bite Me!”

1. John Morson on November 3rd, 2007 4:56 am

Hm,

I know you established bloggers might not like it, but in a weird twisted way this kind of evens the playing field doesn’t it :).

2. John Morson on November 3rd, 2007 6:50 pm

How bad is this?

I mean, it just hurts the people trying to sell links on their blog for PR value. So, people trying to buy links from you because they want a high PR incoming link will not buy links from you any more.

In a way I find this very logical. Google is just stopping the peddling of links valued by PR.

You can still sell links for traffic value, and get revenue from there, as well as getting revenue from adsense.

Am I missing the point? After all, it is google’s index, and they are allowed to do whatever they want with it.

3. George Manty on November 3rd, 2007 9:18 pm

John,

The problem isn’t paid links. Since Jennifer said it so well, in her IM conversation, I will just quote her:

” it IS a big deal. it’s a big deal anytime someone else dictates how we run our business. I’m fine with doing what we have to do to stay listed and to minimize risk but let’s not fool ourselves into think this isn’t a big deal.”

When Google offers to give me one of their web designers to make changes to my site anytime I have to do something to make their Search results better, then fine. But when they are telling me that I need to do their job, that’s another story altogether. Their job is to make the best Search Engine in the world, it’s not mine and not yours. I shouldn’t have to worry about what type links I use to link to someone, whether it be javascript, flash, a 302 redirect or whatever…

What hoop will they want us to jump through next?

4. Marc Berry on November 4th, 2007 11:59 am

The whole point, at least to me, isn’t PR, or number of backlinks, or anything like that. It all points to the same result, and the only result that any of us are actually interested in: traffic. Google may be the best and easiest way to get traffic, assuming that you’ve done you SEO and backlinking correctly, but it’s not the only way.

Given that Big G’s methods are generally kept a secret, the best we can do is guess, and as long as we are kept guessing, Google can pull our strings. It’s too easy to get sidetracked into endlessly running around the track, instead of focusing on the finish line. The time spent scramlbing after the mighty PR might be better spent working other avenues of traffic generation. If G’s latest shenanigans draw my attention too far away from that goal, then I can only quote those who have gone before me, and say, “Google, bite me!”

5. George Manty on November 4th, 2007 12:11 pm

Marc,

So true… traffic is what I care about from Google. I also like Adsense, but the main thing I like about Google is the traffic. I would be fine with Google doing away with Page rank, as long as they keep sending my sites traffic it’s hard to be too mad with them. Albeit, I don’t think that Google (or any other company or government) should have the power to put online small businesses, bloggers, etc. out of business, by giving us hoops to jump through in order to do their job for them.

6. John Motson on November 5th, 2007 2:50 pm

George,

Thanx for taking my face and rubbing it in the facts.

It needed to be said.

I completely agree with what Jennifer said, I guess I wasn’t thinking straight when I asked the question ūüôā

John

7. Vabs on November 6th, 2007 10:54 pm

Hi George,

Nice post.

Kindly review my blog as I am new and would appreciate if you can pump in a few inputs to help me do better.

Thanks and regards,