Google Attacks Blogrolls

Written by George Manty  · October 24, 2007

TechCrunch announced today that Google is lowering the Pagerank of blog networks. A large number of blog networks rely on income from selling text link ads. Google hates text links ads. So it’s not a big surprise that this would happen.

I had a conversation once about my initial concerns about interlinking blogs with the founder of Weblogs Inc., Jason Calacanis. In the comments of this post, Jason said:

in term of interlinking out blogs we always did it in an honest way. It’s totally acceptable for NBC to tell you what’s on Bravo or the SciFi channel, and it’s fine for blog networks to have their own blogrolls…

We both agreed that interlinking blogs shouldn’t be a problem.

So is lowering the pagerank of blogs that interlink ok?

In my opinion it is fine. Lowering the pagerank for blogs that interlink seems like a legitmate thing to do, but I don’t think it should affect the blogs Search Engine rankings. I guess we will find out if Google thinks the same thing.

On the other hand, I understand why bloggers would be upset about this, because it does affect their livelihood. I personally wish Google would just forget about text link ads and work on improving their algorithm. If Google doesn’t improve their algorithm, then companies like Proximic will stand a chance at taking away their business.

What do you think?

Thanks to Matt for the heads up on this news.

Comments

10 Responses to “Google Attacks Blogrolls”

1. Matt Jones on October 24th, 2007 3:20 pm

I think we are going to have to play the waiting game (for EVEN longer). Who knows what Google has up their sleve.

2. George Manty on October 24th, 2007 4:17 pm

Matt,

I agree…

3. Michael Woo on October 25th, 2007 11:07 am

I don’t think that there’s a solution for this. Even though Google penalize people for selling links, there will always be sites that turns PR5 and starts monetizing it and there would still be advertisers who are willing to dump in cash for the links.

It’s never a win-win situation. what they did is just a waste of time and worst of all – killing a whole lot of blogs ūüôĀ

4. Terry Didcott on October 25th, 2007 2:39 pm

I wonder what they make of low PR blogs inter-linking with other blogs in their blogrolls, but not taking any money for it. Can Google differentiate? And if their PR is already 0, does it mean that they won’t increase that, even if the blog owner has worked his butt off to fill it with content and generate backlinks the natural, manual way?

Or do they just hit everyone equally who exchanges links?

I’d love to be a fly on their boardroom wall when they sit around discussing their strategies!

Terry

5. George Manty on October 25th, 2007 2:53 pm

Terry,

>I’d love to be a fly on their boardroom wall…

Wouldn’t we all!

Michael,

It remains to be seen what impact this has on certain blogs, but it is certainly a bummer for blogs that rely on text link income.

6. Collin on October 25th, 2007 6:13 pm

Well I never got into text link adds so I guess thats good. But if I wanted to use them it would hurt me right?

7. George Manty on October 25th, 2007 7:53 pm

It is kind of hard to tell what Google is doing. Some of the blogs being hit don’t sell text link ads. I think Google is devaluing the interlinking of blogs. They haven’t hit every blog network, but it is just a matter of time in my opinion.

8. Trent Brownrigg on October 26th, 2007 12:26 pm

I see no reason why they would do this. It’s ridiculous as far as I’m concerned! If I have a blog and I like another blog, I should have the right to post a link to that blog in my blogroll.

I understand that they don’t want paid links in blogrolls but how can they know if you got paid for the link or if you simply like the blog so you linked to it?

9. Amanda on October 28th, 2007 11:15 am

I hate google and i’m tired of their no no no crap. i’m sorry but its not important i use yahoo anyways down with google :

10. George Manty on October 28th, 2007 12:09 pm