You Didn’t Really Think It Wouldn’t Be Work?

Written by Ryan Ambrose  · August 14, 2007

This has to be one of the more annoying tricks I’ve seen when people are trying to sell products about making money online: It’s the ‘quick and easy money’ approach. I’ll grant that marketing in general is not the most honest of professions, but why disappoint your customers right off the bat?

It’s become so bad it brainwashes some people, and they really think making money online is quick and easy. Now, while I don’t find it hard and grinding as compared to my former job, it is work. And if you don’t think making money online requires any time or effort, you need to get that out of your head.

Where do you think this particular delusion is going to get you? Working online is work. And if you let the endless parade of sales letters saying ‘my system is effortless and only takes minutes’, the first surprise obstacle you hit will stop you and probably keep you stopped.

Now, while working online isn’t a horror show, you will:

• Need to learn

• Need to put in the time

• Become a bit more street-smart about the Net

• Need to do things you’ve never done before

So quit listening to the sales letters and just take a moment to wrap your mind around the fact that you’ll have to work. It’s no different in this regard then starting an income anywhere else, including a traditional job. So when you begin, be ready to work, or you’re stopped before you start.

Seriously, how do you make a beautiful, sellable ebook? Find your answers today with The Ebook Walkthrough!

My name is Ryan Ambrose, and I’m the co-author of Can I Make Big Money Online.

Comments

7 Responses to “You Didn’t Really Think It Wouldn’t Be Work?”

1. Adam Thompson on August 14th, 2007 8:37 am

Hmmm…what do you mean by “that marketing in general is not the most honest of professions”. Do you mean that marketing is by definition dishonest? Or do you mean that many marketers opt to be dishonest?

2. George Manty on August 14th, 2007 8:42 am

Ryan,

I was going to ask a similar question to Adam’s question.

Is it the marketer that is dishonest, the marketing process, or both?

And what do you mean by dishonest? Intenionally not telling the truth, stretching the truth, other?

3. Ryan Ambrose on August 14th, 2007 9:25 am

Hi guys.

No, I’m not calling all marketers liars. I am one.

However, we do put things in their best light and are focused on making sales. This results in a lot of psychology that gets someone to see a product or service in a good light and excited about purchasing it. No lying or deception involved, but the spin, urgency, and psychology is there.

While this doesn’t mean we’re lying through our teeth or scamming someone, it’s not the unvarnished truth either. And yes, there is a difference between ‘marketing’ and the miserable scammy way someone would promote data entry, for example, by inferring that it’s a job as opposed to a business.

Still, my statement ‘...marketing in general is not the most honest of professions…’ stands. We’re not liars, but we do use urgency, gloss, and psychology to get sales, which isn’t the pure truth.

4. George Manty on August 14th, 2007 5:02 pm

Ryan,

Interesting points. I have actually been thinking about this some lately because of a documentary I recently saw.

Also, have you ever seen Seth Godin’s “All Marketers are Liars” book or blog? It’s fairly amusing.

5. Michael Repplinger on August 15th, 2007 5:22 pm

@comment above

Seth Godin is a smart guy, no doubt, but I always thought that this particular book is a bit of a circular deal: a true marketer blaming marketers.

6. kher Cheng Guan on August 15th, 2007 6:50 pm

i share the same sentiment. Online marketing has turned into one big joke. Many self-claimed gurus have tarnished it so bad that each time when i see another online offers, my brain automatically screams “freaking scam!”.

7. Laurie Neumann on April 7th, 2008 12:23 pm

I totally agree. I ignore the sales pages that promise big money while you sit on the beach, etc.

I believe that you do have to work to make money in an online business or any home based business. I don’t see why that is so bad. I love what I do, so I don’t even feel like I”m working. That’s not hype, that’s true.

Find something you believe in and build a business around it or join a direct sales company and sell a product that has benefited you. Just be prepared to put a lot of work into it and to be persistent. Success will come, but not overnight.