I Am Testing Out Kontera Ads – What Do You Think?

Written by George Manty  · April 17, 2007

I am testing out Kontera on four of our blogs (this one, our american idol blog, our apprentice blog, and our onourtv blog). I will let you know how it goes.

I was prompted to do this, because of the results my friend Austin had from adding Kontera ads to a few of his sites. The Kontera ads are the links on this blog with double underlines.

Have you tried Kontera ads on your website or blog? What do you think of them?

Comments

14 Responses to “I Am Testing Out Kontera Ads – What Do You Think?”

1. Amanda on April 17th, 2007 7:20 am

I am not fond of Kontera. It makes very very minimal amount of money for me. I keep it just incase but as of right now two weeks has made me less than a dollar and its a 100 dollar cash out. I’ll tell you in 3 years when i’ve made my 100 dollars šŸ˜›

2. George Manty on April 17th, 2007 8:54 am

Amanda,

Thanks for sharing.

Hope it starts producing better results for you.

Have you ever had a reader complain about the Kontera ads?

3. Amanda on April 17th, 2007 11:06 am

Yes actually I’ve had several. I know I complain about them when I goto other sites and want to copy and paste for a blockquote. They get annoying. Most readers say they dont actually mean to click them, its by accident only. so I am testing it out but I dont know how long I’m going to keep them

I have to say my limited time with burstmedia however has been good. I’ve had them for like 3 days and already made 1 dollar on CPM’s which may not seem like a lot but bidvertiser, and adbrite took me 2-3 weeks to make 1 dollar šŸ˜ and since google and i hate enemies i had to look elsewhere. but I am pleased with burst.

You might find them to work out well for other opportunities to monetize you’re site. I’ve been reading a lot of other peoples blogs and experience with better marketing and they all say if you have different ads people are prone to click more. I know I did really well in clicks with burst than i did with adbrite or bidvertiser. Google can get annoying and when I had them they didn’t give me as many options as burst does.

I’ve been looking around and saw a lot of themes that i said would look great on this site if you ever i want I can always stop by and paste the link to them

4. George Manty on April 17th, 2007 11:12 am

Amanda,

Thanks for the information. Also, feel free to post links to themes you were talking about, and I will check them out. However, I am really happy with this theme, for the time being.

5. Jenny on April 17th, 2007 1:01 pm

I wanted to try them out, but I am already getting enough garbage from people about having ONE google ad on my site. So, who knows if I will try them out or not. Good luck with them.

6. George Manty on April 17th, 2007 1:17 pm

Jenny,

There wouldn’t be nearly as much FREE information on the Internet if it weren’t advertising. I personally don’t get the disdain for ads, it’s what makes the Internet as entertaining as is.

Sorry to hear that your visitors complained so much.

7. Amanda on April 18th, 2007 7:03 am

Eh Its because too many personal sites people associate hers as a personal site but its a Mommy blog.

8. Leroy Brown on April 18th, 2007 8:26 am

I’m testing out Kontera too this month. So far I’m using it on two blogs – one with little success ( though I’m going to give it until at least the end of the month ) and one with pretty decent results so far. I don’t want to judge too early for good or bad – I’ll have a write-up early next month with more solid results.

But FWIW I think the ads are annoying, but not overly so. If they produce decent revenue, then I think the annoyance factor wouldn’t bother me as much.

9. George Manty on April 18th, 2007 8:32 am

Leroy,

Thanks for the info. Let me know when you write about it and I will link to your post.

All the best,
    George

10. Amanda on April 18th, 2007 12:28 pm

The only problem is i dont know if a month or two is a sufficient amount of time to test ads. I’ve been trying to keep my fingers crossed and test them out from 3-4 months and give them time to really nestle into the website and let people get used to them..

11. Blogger-Rising on April 19th, 2007 9:36 am

Thank you for the discussion, I’ve been thinking about trying Kontera. Best of Luck
    Blogger-Rising

12. Nullvariable on April 26th, 2007 1:58 pm

Is advertising really the way to go anymore? Many savvy web users (my self included) are using FireFox with its adblock plugin. I almost never see any ads and I know that this technique becomes more popular everyday. Almost any javascript image or iframe can be blocked with it. Most ads that I see are text based and not generated with a script so I can’t block them. Does anyone else use these methods? I certainly understand that advertising makes the world go ‘round but I sure do like not having flashing jumping buzzing crap on every page I visit. The advent of first the VCR and more recently the TiVO and DVRs have let us record our shows and watch them later while fast-forwarding the commercials. I believe that advertising will need to take a different approach in the future. I know that well written affiliate articles are much more effective for me.

13. George Manty on April 26th, 2007 3:02 pm

Nullvariable,

The average web surfer is not as savvy as many “techies” think. The people installing the firefox plugin, are the same people who wouldn’t click on the ads anyway. Personally, I find the ads on other people’s sites and in the search results interesting at times and sometimes find really good sites through advertising.

14. Leroy Brown on May 9th, 2007 2:51 pm

Hey George, just wanted to give you a heads up that my Kontera review is up. I’m very pleased with the program so far.