5 Ways That You Can Make More Money From Your Squidoo Lenses

Written by George Manty  · March 19, 2007

Last week, I recieved my first payment from Squidoo!

I currently have 20 Squidoo lenses, although when I got paid I had 18. My Squidoo earnings for the month were $8.25 and my total Squidoo earnings (what I got paid) were $12.42.

Yes, that is in no way, shape, or form BIG MONEY!

Currently, I think of Squidoo as part promotional tool, part money making tool. I have talked in the past why it is a good promotional tool (click here to read more about Squidoo as a promotional tool). Now I want to talk about it as a way to make money online.

Here are a few observations I have made about making money with Squidoo:

1. Make Lots of Lenses
It seems fairly obvious, but the more lenses you make the more money you should make. This is true of normal websites as well. In general, the more content you have the more money you will make.

2. Join Groups
Typically the lenses that I make that have made the most money have been part of a popular Squidoo group. Squidoo groups are basically groups of related lenses. You can either create your own groups or join other people’s groups. If you create your own group, it definitely takes up more of your time because you have to accept and reject lenses that want to join your group. However, having control over popular groups can be useful.

3. Do Keyword Research

Create lenses on popular topics to maximize your profit potential. The lenses of mine that have made the most money, also happen to be the ones that deal with more popular topics.

4. Add More Tags
When you initially create a new lens, you can enter three tags for the lens. These tags are keywords used to categorize your lens. Your lens and other related lenses have links to these tag pages. The tag pages link back to all of the lenses that use that tag. This means that when you create a new lens your lens automaticly gets links from the tag pages on the Squidoo site. In other words, the more tags you create for your lens, the more links you will have to your lens.

Don’t go overboard with the tags, but add more than three.

5. Create Quality Content
The lenses that make me money, tend to have more content than the lenses that don’t make me money. Also, the lenses with interactive content (allows users to add links, etc), tend to have more traffic. Content is still king.

Also, I found a really good Squidoo lens about making money with Squidoo. It includes information on how your earnings are calculated. You can click here to read it.

For further reading on Squidoo, here are my past Squidoo posts:

My First Squidoo Lens – Big Money from Loan Refinancing?

My Squidoo Results

How Can Squidoo Increase Website Traffic?

Squidoo Results Take 2

Comments

12 Responses to “5 Ways That You Can Make More Money From Your Squidoo Lenses”

1. John Wesley on March 19th, 2007 7:56 am

Interesting, I’ve thought about dabbling in Squidoo, but wasn’t sure if lenses actually made money. I’d be interested to hear how your earnings change over time.

2. George Manty on March 19th, 2007 8:27 am

John,

I will keep you up to date on that. I think I could probably earn 100 dollars a month or so, with no problem. The main thing I use Squidoo for and recommend you use Squidoo for is for promoting your own sites.

However, a side benefit of that is that you can make money as well.

3. Michael M on March 19th, 2007 1:51 pm

There are to little money, I don’t think this could be a good investment.

4. ScamHunter on March 20th, 2007 2:00 am

Geez. It’s just before 5 AM (dead of night). I happened to be awake (rare for this time). And I’m sneaking around taking peaks at some of the blogs (listed in Broc’s blog – his contest list). I liked the title of this lens, so I’m sniffing around and boom—I see my picture over in Recent Readers. Can’t a girl be clandestine? I mean usually I’m making a point of making noise, generating links all over the place. It kind of cracked me that I was going to go the quiet route this time when MyBlogLog nabbed a snapshot of me visiting. Man I look even older than I feel too!

Okay, long as I’ve been found out, I will say I liked what I saw and I’ll stop back again some time.

5. Mac on March 20th, 2007 9:47 am

wow.. love your WP theme

6. Leroy Brown on March 20th, 2007 10:19 am

I think maybe the fact that Squidoo is considered somewhat of an authority site, and thus the link trust that comes with it, can make Squidoo worth it. I’d be surprised if you could really make any significant money from it though – it seems your time may be better spent blogging.

7. George Manty on March 20th, 2007 10:23 am

Leroy,

I agree. I use it mostly for promotional purposes, but I am also interested in seeing if I can ever make significant money from it.

8. Susan on April 22nd, 2007 6:02 am

I’m very new to squidoo, now with three lenses, but I’m beginning to see its potential and catch on to how it works. Thanks for your helpful insight!
    Susan

9. George Manty on April 22nd, 2007 2:59 pm

Susan,

You are welcome.

10. James Wright on April 23rd, 2007 10:42 am

Iv created some lenses with links out to my own products, I’m hoping i will get placed on search engine better and increase more traffic. How long does it take for lenses to appear on google?

11. George Manty on April 23rd, 2007 11:30 am

I am not sure how long they take to appear on Google. However, considering that Squidoo is an authority site, it shouldn’t take long for them to be indexed by the Search Engines.

12. Jimmy-Reese on February 29th, 2008 9:30 pm

I use Squidoo to highlight affiliate products with links to a sales page, my lenses usually get indexed quickly, get good page rank, and dont get sandboxed by google like my other sites. My newest lens is
    Desperate Buyers Only