Which Google Adsense advertising placement annoys you the most?

Written by George Manty  · December 25, 2006

In my last poll I asked you:

Which Google Adsense advertising placement annoys you the most?

Here are the results:

• At the Top of an Article: 50% (34)
  • In the Middle of an Article: 25% (17)
  • At the End of an Article: 0% (0)
  • At the Top of the Site: 4% (3)
  • In the Navigation Bar: 4% (3)
  • Don’t care: 16% (11)

Total Votes : 68

I am not sure how this is going to affect my Google Adsense placement.

Personally, I find it most annoying when ads are in the middle of an article, because I have to pause and stop reading in the middle of an article.

Ads at the top of articles make me the most money, so it’s hard to move them. In fact, this poll showed that Adsense placement that makes the most money is also the placement people find the most annoying. Adsense placement that makes the least amount of money is also the least annoying.

So all website owners are faced with the problem of making money vs. annoying our visitors. That kind of makes sense, since nobody really wants to see advertising.

What do you think of the results?

Comments

8 Responses to “Which Google Adsense advertising placement annoys you the most?”

1. Rob Stgeorge on December 26th, 2006 12:57 am

I used to have google ads at the top of my posts, however as I was making only peanuts from the ads anyway, I removed it and now only have them on the sidebar. Havent noticed much difference lol. Maybe if I ever get large gains in the amounts of traffic it will be worth moving them back again.

2. Leroy Brown on December 26th, 2006 6:36 am

I say stick with what works. Those folks who are going to be annoyed, will be annoyed no matter what. If you move the ads to less profitable positions, the complainers will still whine, because it’s what they do. The only difference is more work for you, and less money.

3. George Manty on December 26th, 2006 8:53 am

I found them to be three times more effective at the top of posts then anywhere else.

4. George Manty on December 27th, 2006 4:43 pm

Interesting thoughts Leroy. I think you may be correct…

5. Taylor on December 28th, 2006 8:59 am

Interesting it seems annoyance has the most effect?!
    Thats kinda of weard.

6. Garry Conn on January 1st, 2007 6:42 pm

George,

Since we had touched on this about a month ago, I have started being annoyed with something different. I am finding a lot of people starting to break their article into multiple pages… where realistically, they could be written in just one. The first page has content, the second page is a complete page dedicated to ads, the third page continues the story and so forth.

This is popular with gaming sites such as Yahoo! Games. The reason why this annoys me is because traditionally, no matter where the ad is placed on a page, I have a choice to actually view it in detail or not… and most importantly I have a choice to click on the advertisement. However, by distributing an article over three pages for the purpose of placing full page advertisements on page two forces me to read the advertisement, and secondly forces me to click a link to continue viewing the content I was interested in prior to being interrupted.

7. kid... on January 8th, 2007 1:59 am

The best for me is on top of an article.

8. George Manty on January 10th, 2007 6:43 pm