Three Strikes – Why I didn’t Buy Rich Schefren’s Training

Written by George Manty  · July 26, 2006

Update: You should check out Rich’s latest free ebook “The Attention Age Doctrine Part 2“. It is great and it made me feel really good about the direction we have been taking our business.

Rich Schefren came out with some great free information the last couple of weeks that has had the Internet Buzzing. His information has made me realize that I needed to change gears and treat my online business more like I would a regular off-line business. His coaching looked like a great oppurtunity to learn how to do this. However, I chose not to purchase his coaching for the following reasons:

1. The Price
The cost of his coaching didn’t fit into my current budget. One very high profile online marketer once said in one of his newsletters that you should take about 10 percent of your profits and roll that into education, and training. That way you can constantly improve your marketng skills, etc. without breaking your budget. That means I would have needed to be making $4000/month from my business to afford Rich’s training. Since I am not there yet, that was one strike against the training. On the other hand, training can often pay for itself in increased revenues. But in this case, there was more than one strike against it, like…

2. I Would not have been able to follow His advice
If I am going to do more outsourcing and start running my online business more like an offline business, I am going to need to spend some money. At the very minimum I am going to need to buy some software that will make some of my tasks (like accounting) much easier. Paying for his advice and then not being able to act on it doesn’t seem like a great idea to me.

3. Some of the Material I already know
Many of the things that Rich talks about I already know how to do, but just have not implemented them or tried putting them into practice. I took a lot of business courses in college and I also have read many business books, so at least 50% of what he is teaching I can do on my own. The rest I am fairly certain I can figure out, either through my business connections or free resources like the SBA.

The bottom line is that if his course had been $100/month I would have done it, but I just couldn’t justify $400/month at this time.

In the coming months, I am going to post some of the things that we change in our online business. I hope it helps not only our business, but maybe helps yours as well. I am sure that the people who paid the money for his course will get their money’s worth, it just wasn’t the right thing for me to do at this time, maybe next time…

Comments

15 Responses to “Three Strikes – Why I didn’t Buy Rich Schefren’s Training”

1. Dwain on October 17th, 2006 12:03 pm

If you found Rich’s earlier Manifesto useful, you might want to know that Rich has released a third installment in the Internet Business Manifesto series.

It’s called “The Final Chapter.”
    You can download it here:

A freebee for you.

2. George Manty on October 17th, 2006 12:30 pm

I just posted about it. I am sure his course is good too.

3. George Manty on October 17th, 2006 12:31 pm

Also, a self paced course would have worked better for me, because of my schedule. Right now, I am sooo busy with my 9-5, but that will die down towards mid Novemeber.

4. Gavin Allinson on February 25th, 2007 9:33 am

How are things going for you?

Have you got any products of your own that you are promoting/selling.

catch you later

Gavin

5. debbie on March 6th, 2007 7:28 am

you sound like a loser who will never get anything done with that type of thinking….

6. George Manty on March 6th, 2007 7:50 pm

Debbie, I kind of get your point, but you don’t understand the circumstances I was under at the time I wrote this post. It was not the right timing for me to take on this course.

I did say that I think Rich’s course would be excellent and I am sure it will help a lot of people. I am currently signed up for John Reese’s Reese Report and I expect to learn a lot from John’s teachings (which are similar to Rich’s teachings).

7. DrWatson on April 17th, 2007 11:02 am

In the world of marketing; many “experts” seem to get very liberal with posting thier accolades. So how does one seperate the steak from the sizzle?

Schefren’s program certainly looks good on the surface and his guarentee let’s us do a taste test without risk – But who is the teacher?

Did he or his businesses “appear in” major publications because of advertsing, good marketing PR or because he was newsworthy?

What about these personal business turn arounds? What are/where thier names? What happened to those businesses? Were they sold for a profit or did they go bust? Did he walk away flush with the proceeds or protecting himself from creditors?

I wish I could gleen testimonials in my industry at level Rich has ammassed them. Again, how does one seperate the steak from the sizzle? Does the writer who shared office space with Rich provide any of Rich’s copy? How much of the “millions R. Bell cashed out with” was attributable to Rich?

I post this because, Strategic Profit clients (They told me they are enrolled. And I trust thier judgement)are indicating that promises are being made, timelines missed and apologies being extended. Yet we just see the accolades.

One could surmise that classes “are closed” now to provide maximum support for the current students. OR, because that same text is used in other peoples sales copy, is it another marketing tactic; this one aimed at creating scarcity?

Granted nothing and no one is perfect, but when I read the headline below (From Rich’s sales letter)>>>

>>>> “When Someone With a Track Record of Creating Massive Tidal Waves of Profit, Success, and Abundance, Offers to Help You Get Where You Want to Go – You Should Run (Not Walk) to Belly-Up-to-the-Bar and Make It Happen!”

8. DrWatson on April 17th, 2007 11:15 am

As a follow up to my Apr 17th, 2007 at 11:02 am posting; I submit the following:

Multi-tasking has its downside as evidenced by my neglecting to run a quick spell check.

And, it seems I was a long winded, exceeding text limits for a posting. So to finish my observations; I’ll back up into the text to keep things in context…

I’m reminded of a couple of old sayings:

“Look before you leap”
    and
    “Beauty is only skin deep”

9. George Manty on April 17th, 2007 12:09 pm

Dr. Watson,

I would be surprised if all of these allegations are true.

I will leave your comment here, so that someone in Rich Schefren’s coaching program can feel free to rebutt your position.

10. DrWatson on April 17th, 2007 1:24 pm

George,

I reread my posting to see if I’d made or even inferred any allegations. I did not. Even my reference to “client comments” reinforced it as 3rd party.

My message theme was:

“In the world of marketing; many “experts” seem to get very liberal with posting their accolades. So how does one separate the steak from the sizzle?”

Maintaining continuity with the original “Three Strikes”; I applied a broader issue facing us entrepreneurs, which is how to decide the extent to which marketing copy is spot on versus exaggerated. To do so in the framework of the threads above; my questions were posed from reviewing his site and copy.

I could have applied the same approach to anyone’s marketing, but again that would not have been germane to the original post.

That this posting does anything more than stimulate a level of “buyer discretion” be applied to the claims of any online offer; it exceeds the spirit in which this was intended.

Perhaps, we will get additional feed back not just from happy and/or unhappy coaching clients, but get peoples thoughts and experiences about the general success of all the current coaching programs.

11. George Manty on April 17th, 2007 1:58 pm

Dr Watson,

Ok, I see what you are saying. I am personally signed up for the Reese Report and have found it extremely valuable. I plan on talking about it in more detail at a future point in time.

I can’t vouch for Rich’s program, but would certainly be interested in hearing how other people are doing with it.

12. BlueSkyBrothers.com on July 5th, 2007 6:12 pm

I was (and still am for that matter) thinking about joining Rich’s coaching program but the price scared me away at this point. However, I have talked to many people that are either in it or have been involved and they are doing really well.

I think it’s worth the cost and I believe I am going to jump in so I can take my business to the next level.

I just finished reading Rich’s latest report… The Attention Age Doctrine and found that I could relate to a lot of his points.

I just posted about it on my personal blog.

Thanks
    Greg

13. George Manty on July 5th, 2007 6:19 pm

Greg,

Thanks for stopping by. I agree about Rich’s latest ebook, it was an awesome read. I wrote about it here:

As for joining his program, I personally think that it would be extremely helpful for people like me.

It is hard for me to justify paying more than 100 dollars a month for almost any mentoring program, and yet most are worth much more than that. Once you get it into numbers that are close to house payments (like stompernet) it becomes even more difficult to justify it.

All the best,
    George

14. John Rollow on September 6th, 2011 2:01 pm

Man, these are old comments. But now in 2011 he is still promoting his “Business Growth Mentoring Program,” today for $3,000, (claims it’s worth more than $13,000). It may not be a scam, but I agree with George Manty’s original assessment. I don’t agree that “most (mentoring programs) are worth much more than that.” I’ve tried a few, at great cost, and they were not worth nearly that much.

15. Dave Jackson on September 15th, 2011 1:58 pm

His stuff is OK, but I have no idea who helps him with his image. I would certainly change that devilish looking picture he uses on everything… and maybe start jogging. Sorry, Rich… just my opinion. I could use some help, too! Dave