My Vision Was Too Cloudy

Written by George Manty  · July 24, 2006

Darren Rowse of Problogger has another wonderful group writing project for his visitors. This group project is another great oppurtunity for bloggers to get some quality traffic, meet other bloggers, and it also gives us a good topic for a post.

Darren would like us to answer the question:

What would would you do different if you had to start your blog over again?

There are probably several things that I would do differently, but the most important thing that I wish I had done differently with most of our blogs is…

I wish that I had come up with a clear and inspirational vision for each of our blogs.

Yes, we had a general idea of what we wanted to do with most of our blogs, but we didn’t have a strong, inspirational, and clear vision of what we wanted our blog to do. We didn’t have a clear picture of what our blogs would be like 6 months, 1 year, or 5 years down the road. Jill and I are currently in the process of coming up with a clear vision for our online businesses. My goal is that the vision we come up with will be a vision that inspires not only us, but other people as well.

Creating a clear, strong, inspirational, long term vision for our blogs – that is what I would have done differently if I could do things over again.

Comments

16 Responses to “My Vision Was Too Cloudy”

1. MamaDuck on July 25th, 2006 7:58 am

I think it’s great to recognize that and focus it now, I’m sure it will work out for you! I also participated in this project if you’d like to read – http://lilduckduck.com/archive/187

2. Leon on July 25th, 2006 12:06 pm

It’s near impossible to have a clear vision of what the future holds. As they say, hindsight is 20/20.

3. gmanty on July 25th, 2006 2:43 pm

I guess what I was thinking was more in line with a mission statement, a clear idea of where I would like the business to go. I realize there is no way to predict the future, but having a clear direction that you would like your business to go, is much better than putting up a site without a clear purpose.

4. Thom on July 25th, 2006 9:33 pm

do you have the vision now? what changed and what is the vision? great site by the way.

5. gmanty on July 25th, 2006 9:39 pm

We are still working on creating a vision. I have somewhat of a vision for this blog, but it has changed over time.

6. dcypl on July 26th, 2006 4:31 am

Hey, Great site!

I just did your poll, and read this post, nice work!
    I started blogging with very little vision, aiming low, and not getting very far.

I think people like Darren have been successful for their locating the opportunities, then filling the void with a good level of content posted at regular intervals. The number of posts seems less important than the quality. I’m often turned off looooong posts by where the scroll bar sits and the density of text.

I like your large font, but some people may prefer a denser display.

You can view my post on this topic here:

Cheers!

7. gmanty on July 26th, 2006 8:48 am

I agree, I have a hard time reading longer posts. I use larger fonts because I personally prefer them. Part of the reason for that is I have vision problems.

Thanks for taking the poll.

8. Jersey Girl on July 27th, 2006 7:26 am

Hi George,
    You’re right. We did have similar ideas. A clear path or outline would help me target, but my mind goes in many directions and to walk straight on a written path can be a challenge for me!

9. Katy on July 27th, 2006 8:21 am

Will your vision be an overall branded vision that encompases everything from your businesses to your blogs or an idividual one for each aspect?

Sometimes the overall vision is better at steering you on the right path…

10. gmanty on July 27th, 2006 8:59 am

Both an overall vision and separate visions. Overall vision for our business, separate vision for each blog or website.

Good question.

11. Joe on July 27th, 2006 1:31 pm

Hey George,

I too had no vision when I started. Most of what I did was just by watching others and reading A LOT of other Blogs.

Eventually, I got some direction.

Once you make a decision on which direction to go, just stick with it, and it will work.

Best,

Joe

12. Joe on July 27th, 2006 1:43 pm

George,
    BTW I voted for Interviews, I did one not long ago with Darren Rowse on his working at home experience and it was very rewarding.

Here is a link to my interview with Darren

Doing an interview can help in a lot of different ways, believe me.

Joe

13. gmanty on July 27th, 2006 2:06 pm

Joe,
    Thanks for the advice. On the blogs that have a clear direction we have done well. Especially, our Olympics site (bought a second car with the earnings).

We did an interview on it:

that we enjoyed.

Thanks for voting and thanks for the input,
    George

14. gmanty on July 27th, 2006 2:08 pm

Of course, being interviewed (which happened with the Olympics blog) has been very good for some of our blogs as well.

15. Damien on July 28th, 2006 10:53 pm

Good advice; I’m still trying to figure that our for my blog myself. A general plan for the future never hurts..

By the way, kudos for the layout. I’m a big fan of readability, and the whole page is easy on the eyes. :)

16. Mindglob on July 30th, 2006 11:09 am

If I Had To Start My Blog Again: Top 10…

For those of you who haven’t been keeping up (or stumbled upon this post at some point in the future), over the last few days I’ve been participating in Darren Rowse’s group writing project. The theme of this project is “If I Ha…