Netscape vs. Digg which do yo like better?

Written by George Manty  · June 16, 2006

It’s all over the Net now, so which one do you like better? Netscape or Digg?

The new Netscape (much like Digg) could become a good place to get some link love for your blog. If you have enough friends who will vote for your submission, then you too can get traffic from Netscape.

I think that turning Netscape into a social bookmarking site like Digg is a pretty good idea. Netscape/AOL can probably reach a bigger user base than Digg has. Albeit, Digg’s user base is pretty big already.

In some ways I would have rather seen AOL buy Digg, since they came up with idea. However, there is always going to be competition and in the ever growing web market there is plenty of room for both sites to thrive.

We will see how this goes.

So which one do you prefer? Digg or Nestcape? Does it matter that Digg came first? What do you think?

Comments

43 Responses to “Netscape vs. Digg which do yo like better?”

1. Ronnie Morren on June 29th, 2006 9:48 pm

I much prefer the old netscape versus the new netscape, you need to change it back!

2. p myatt on June 30th, 2006 2:34 am

Hate it!

3. Dianna Farris on June 30th, 2006 5:31 am

I hate the new netscape! I want the old one back…I have removed it now as my home page. I am not sure if this is where I give my feedback, but I wanted to tell someone how I felt. Not that it will make any difference…just wanted to vent.

4. Dad Burns on June 30th, 2006 6:14 am

Bring back the old Netscape!

5. gmanty on June 30th, 2006 6:16 am

Dianna,

I am in not affiliated with Netscape. I just wrote an article that made it onto the new Netscape. You can leave them a comment on their site.

The general trend seems to be people hate the new Netscape. That’s not surprising since most of us hate when websites change.

– George

6. Rhonda on June 30th, 2006 6:17 am

I do not like the new Netscape AT ALL. I’m thinking about removing it as my homepage as well. Not to bash anyone’s comments because here I am leaving one as well…but I’d much rather be able to go onto the site and read the NEWS rather than a bunch of blogs and comments to said news. I’m not liking this at ALL.

7. RIN on June 30th, 2006 6:42 am

Can’t stand the new netscape I’m changing my homepage. I’ll keep checking to see if they put it back or improved it. But I can’t stand how it looks now.

8. Donna on June 30th, 2006 7:12 am

I totally agree with Rhonda…..I too will be removing it as my homepage. I was shocked to say the least when I opened Netscape and saw this new page…..it’s very chaotic to look at…..I say out with the new and in with old!! I do not like it AT ALL.

9. Wise Citizen on June 30th, 2006 7:44 am

I agree—bad, bad change in Netscape! Now when I open Netscape, there is no news, only garbage. I will definitely have to change my home page to something for those who really want to know what’s going on in the world. The new format is poorly done, with no organization and definitely not interesting. In the past I have recommended Netscape for its home page—up to the minute real, substantive news reporting. Now I’m looking to change myself! Whoever is editing the news now has a tabloid mentality!

10. Kimber on June 30th, 2006 7:45 am

I have removed it as my homepage too! I like the old Netscape where I could get news, weathers, etc.

11. Pat on June 30th, 2006 7:47 am

New layout is …........................... I will be moving my homepage over to Yahoo until the old Netscape returns.

12. Mark on June 30th, 2006 7:54 am

WE ALL HATE THE NEW NETSCAPE
    I work at a university and had all my labs defaulted to Netscape as the home page – that has already changed. The “new” netscape is horrible. Before you could find what you want, now you have to sift through other peoples crap to get to the news/ information you want. Get rid of it fast.

13. Noelle on June 30th, 2006 8:08 am

I hate this new netscape-They must change it back

14. wanda russell on June 30th, 2006 8:15 am

I hate this. I’ll switch over to something else until it’s changed back.

15. Cary Bland on June 30th, 2006 8:17 am

I was shocked to find that my old Netscape had been taken away and replaced by this crap. I am sorry to say I will be switching to another home page because of this change. Tell you what… change it back to the old Netscape and get rid of this new format and I promise I will be back, otherwise I’ll have to bid you farewell!

16. lauriea on June 30th, 2006 8:36 am

I agree the new website looks cluttered and unorganized. Like Mark I don’t want to sift through the junk.

17. Dave on June 30th, 2006 9:23 am

ONE WORD-GARBAGE

18. Dave on June 30th, 2006 9:37 am

I hate it. Please go back to the old one.

19. Roger on June 30th, 2006 11:09 am

Get rid of it, no class, just trash.

20. shelley on June 30th, 2006 12:35 pm

Who’s idea was this? Guess I don’t get it. It was good info and read. Now it’s difficult, trashy, junky! You really need to change it back – there was nothing wrong with it. WHY should it be like Digg? I signed on just to leave my comments – won’t be visiting you anymore – not while you’re like this. It gives me a giant headache. Don’t have time to sift through all the poop to get to the real news.

21. Patty Miller on June 30th, 2006 4:00 pm

Hate the new Netscape layout. Please bring back the old format! The new one is too messy and I have to scroll too much to look thru it. Also like my google search engine right at the top of the old layout.

PLEASE BRING IT BACK…or I will replace it with another homepage.

22. Charles on June 30th, 2006 4:25 pm

I am also in agreement with these sentiments. I used Netscape before because it was the best, most user friendly home page out there. Now, it is very far from that.

23. jeff on June 30th, 2006 4:29 pm

Echo all of the other comments. This is without a doubt one of the worst websites I have seen. Piece of crap, horrible idea. Please change back. I too have removed Netscape as my default browser. Will go back to Netscape when you get rid of this junk. Until then, See Ya.

24. Fitz on June 30th, 2006 6:55 pm

I do not like this new Netscape at all. Please change it back .

25. Rodney pegram on July 1st, 2006 6:33 am

Hate new netscape hope to see old netscape back
    My daddy told as a small kid if it ant broke don’t fix it .

26. taylor on July 1st, 2006 7:42 am

IT SUCKS BRING BACK THE OLD I DON’T WANT TO READ ABOUT STORIES THAT HAVE BEEN VOTED ON ANDWHO VOTED ON THEM ANYWAY. YAHOO HERE I COME!

27. Ashok on July 1st, 2006 8:12 am

Like all of you HATE…. HATE the site. I have changed my homepage to Yahoo. Hopefully when Netscape gives us a choice to select a format will come back till then goodbye to Netscape.

28. Paulette Kershner on July 1st, 2006 12:12 pm

God, when will you jerks LEARN to leave well enough alone. This new format STINKS. Bring back the old. Cannot, do not want to wade through all this crap.
    Please….think about the people for once instead of your own egos!

29. Rod on July 1st, 2006 2:26 pm

I want to see up to date news & info with quick & easy search vehicles. If I wanted a poll on everything I’d become a Democrat. Fox news here I come!! As of today Netscape is no longer my home page. I’ll ck. back in a week & see if you got your collective heads out of your collective a——
    Rod

30. john on July 2nd, 2006 4:51 am

Put it back!1

31. Me on July 2nd, 2006 7:36 am

Also hate it and agree with the above analyses. At least I found a new place to go by reading these comments. Guess I’ll try Yahoo.

32. Terry Smith on July 2nd, 2006 9:03 am

Absolutely hate it. Need to change back to the old one

33. "AC" on July 3rd, 2006 6:32 pm

I truly hate this crap.

I have a difficult enough time surfing the internet and just when I get comfortable with Netscape, some idiot goes and change things in an attmpt to impress someone and satisfy his own personal preference on how Netscapes home page should be formated.

Bring back the predecessor (old Netscape) to this junk.

34. Dale on July 11th, 2006 5:28 am

I can’t stand this new site! I have suggested Netscape to my family and friends for over 14 years. I have now switched to another home page as this is way to difficult to find anything on. If you do not switch back to the old site or make it an option, I will no longer use Netscape, let alone suggest it to others.

35. James on July 11th, 2006 4:57 pm

I hate this new Netscape. I want the old one back.

36. James on July 11th, 2006 5:06 pm

So far I haven’t seen one positive thing said about this new Netscape. They didn’t even give any warning it was coming or ask anyone opinion. It’s like someone telling me what they think is best for me. You should have let us decide, and not have decided for us. After all isn’t it us, the consumer, who makes or breaks a company. I’m in the process of looking for a new homepage. Ya’ll need to listen to your customers.

37. Candy on July 12th, 2006 9:57 am

I have no intention of supporting any advertisers of this NEW NETSCAPE and I hope they at least will listen to the consumer! This is a pathetic waste of my time and energy and since I have no desire to learn how to BLOG I’ll simplt find another site and check on this one only enough to know who not to support with my business. I fought microsoft for a long time but they weren’t even this pathetic

38. Fred on July 13th, 2006 9:57 am

Agree with consensus – the new Netscape is nothing but a toy that will wear out its welcome fast.

The old Netscape was build on the paradigm of categories (channels) for easy grouping of like topics. Keyword links are presented on a page that are visible without the need for much scrolling. It’s fast. In this hectic fast-paced world, I don’t have time to hunt around for what I need.

This new Netscape is just a random blob of crap. I can’t find anything of substance. Why must I scroll constantly to find things? Wait 10 seconds, hit refresh and bingo – topics change. If voting is such a big deal, why are the vote counts so low ? Either no one is reading or no one cares to vote. Ditch it.

Many of us professionals grew up using the Netscape Website as the start of source of information. We are a structured breed, have to be to survive. Most of us will migrate to some other Website that is more form oriented.

Goodbye Netscape. It’s been a fun ride. You may have been the originator, but now you are just a copy-cat. And a BAD one at that.

39. Cliff on July 14th, 2006 5:17 pm

I also hate the “new” Netscape. Luckily, though, the old home page is still available at: http://www.isp.netscape.com/

I just changed the home page address on my browser.

40. Cliff on July 15th, 2006 6:55 am

Yesterday, I posted the link to the “old” but still active Netscape home page: http://www.isp.netscape.com/

My post has disappeared. Is there a coverup??

41. Don on July 20th, 2006 1:18 pm

The new Netscape is absolutely and positively horrible. Please, please revert to the old version.

42. mike on July 25th, 2006 6:59 pm

a poor clone of digg two minutes too late. aside from counting (and confusing) their existing users, netscape is lost among a sea of copycats… lame.

43. hahahah on August 6th, 2006 10:36 am

So many diggers here claiming they’ve changed homepage. Most comments by the same people. Lame…